• Sony A6500

• Panasonic G80/85

• Panasonic GH5

Results are only viewable after voting.

NewShoota

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I'm afraid I'm another noob looking for advice on which camera to go for, I hope you can help me.

I want to get into hobbyist photography and some family videos too.
Where the subjects will mainly be members of the family.
That could include portraits and action/sports photography.

I have been looking at a few options but am getting lost with the plethora of information out there.
I think the shortlist is :
- Nikon D500
- Canon 7D mk2
- Panasonic G80/85
- Sony A6500
- Panasonic GH5

Any input to help me make my decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

NewShoota

Just by the choice of your cameras I really see you don't know what you want.
None of these cameras are the ones I would recommend for you
D500 and 7D II are sports camera and not what you need
Sony a6500 is a camera I have mixed feeling for, I have the a6300 and I have it for video but the lens selection for Sony APS-C is horrible!!!
I don't like MFT cameras, I had a Panasonic G7 and these small sensor are just not impressive, low light is a dirty word for them, that's my experience anyways.
If you mainly want to do photography then get the Nikon D7200, it will give you better image quality in low ISO then the D500 and while in high ISO the D500 is better it isn't by much as the D7200 has an amazing sensor!!!
Another option is Fuji X-T2 or X-T20 but the problem with Fuji is that they don't have full frame cameras, once you commit to a Fuji system you can never get a full frame camera and the magic of FF someday might call you (or not who knows)

Never the less if I had to choose a camera from your list I would go with the Nikon D500, its the best camera of all the other cameras on your list by a mile!

What's your budget? How much capability are you expecting from video (do you need 4K)? I think a full frame camera will probably suit you best, but that's going to depend on your budget since fast lenses, which you will want, are going to be a bit pricey.

Please answer this.
  1. What: What equipment do you wish to buy?
    Body, lenses, flash, tripod, accessories, etc.
  2. How much do you want to spend: What is your budget?
  3. To do what: What do you want to photograph?
    Portraits, landscapes, sports, long exposures, etc.
  4. To use where: Where do you like/need to take pictures?
    Exteriors with daylight, exteriors with low light, badly light interiors, studio, pavilion, stadium, etc.
  5. What are you like: What's your profile as a photographer?
    Amateur, casual photographer, enthusiast or professional?
  6. What do you have: What's your current gear?
  7. How's your "network": What do your friends, family, neighbours use?
  8. Where to buy: Where do you wish to buy?
    Physical store, online...

That ^ post needs to be written in stone. Or made into a sticky. :@: :clap: :icon_cheers: :victorious: :)

from that list i would go nikon D500.
nikons top end DX camera at the moment, and does 4k video for when you want it.
its got the best sensor and autofocus, and nikon has an excellent selection of lenses, especially if you include their FX line which you can use on DX cameras, making it easier to upgrade later.
its also the best on the list for sports/action. portraits can be done by pretty much any camera, but the D500 has good ISO performance
so low light wont be as much of a pain.

Please answer this.
  1. What: What equipment do you wish to buy?
    Body, lenses, flash, tripod, accessories, etc.
  2. How much do you want to spend: What is your budget?
  3. To do what: What do you want to photograph?
    Portraits, landscapes, sports, long exposures, etc.
  4. To use where: Where do you like/need to take pictures?
    Exteriors with daylight, exteriors with low light, badly light interiors, studio, pavilion, stadium, etc.
  5. What are you like: What's your profile as a photographer?
    Amateur, casual photographer, enthusiast or professional?
  6. What do you have: What's your current gear?
  7. How's your "network": What do your friends, family, neighbours use?
  8. Where to buy: Where do you wish to buy?
    Physical store, online...

That ^ post needs to be written in stone. Or made into a sticky. :@: :clap: :icon_cheers: :victorious: :)

You mean like this: runnah's sure fire tips to getting good advice on equipment The very first post at the top of this exact forum that never ever seems to get read. Is that the one you mean????;)

No more thoughts?

Usually around here if you get one well though out answer the rest of us leave the thread alone.
You received a well thought out answer. You should be happy. The answer could even save you money. You should be very happy.

I'm a Nikon shooter, but if I wanted a general do it all camera that does video well I would go for one of the more modern canon, with their dual pixel and focus in live view and video.

I think the canon 80d is worth looking at

Actually, as a D500 owner myself, and you stating that you are a "noob", I would not recommend the D500.

The D500 has *NO* features for a beginner.
Nikon Camera's such as the D3400, D5600, D7200, D610 & D750 have (a) AUTO, (b) Auto no flash, and (c) Effects and (d) Scene modes and other features for newer photographers to learn and play with.

The D500 does NOT have any of those features.

It only has PASM - Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual modes. Of course all the cameras listed above also have these modes. But the D500 ONLY has these modes.

Also the AutoFocus is a quantum leap up in flexibility from the 51 and 39 point AutoFocus systems. With a learning curve.

Plus, you should research lenses too.

Last edited:
I'd never expect the see all those cameras on one list like this...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back