Need to choose a camera

Which Camera

• Nikon D500

• Canon 7D mk2

• Sony A6500

• Panasonic G80/85

• Panasonic GH5

Results are only viewable after voting.
you have two "sports" oriented DSLRs on your list. Kinda odd man out with the mirrorless ones you chose.

i think the exercise by Emanuel is worth taking a few minutes and replying to.

I think the shortlist is :
- Nikon D500
- Canon 7D mk2
- Panasonic G80/85
- Sony A6500
- Panasonic GH5
We get asked this question several times per week, at least.

I am curious as how you developed that list.

Being confused and asking for help is completely understandable, but we need more information.

What you need is a point and shoot camera. It will handle what you want, is portable and easy to use. Don't let anybody tell you that you can't get a good image with a small sensor point and shoot camera. The image below was shot while I was filling my tank earlier today with a Panasonic ZS-40 point and shoot. It has a plastic zoom lens and the smallest sensor that I know of - 1/2.3 and you are looking at a highly reduced image in order to post it sensibly on the site.

bpsign2.jpg

The ZS-40, like many point and shoot cameras provides for manual exposure, program, AP and SP modes so you can control it rather than letting it control you. You can find appropriate models from any brand you like.

I think the shortlist is :
- Nikon D500
- Canon 7D mk2
- Panasonic G80/85
- Sony A6500
- Panasonic GH5
I am curious as how you developed that list..

Thanks for your reply.
The list wasn't exactly scientific parsé.

As I want to do some Sports photography albeit kids, I threw in a couple of "Sports" cameras from the "Big 2"

Then with MFT seeming to be all the rage and more people getting into video I threw in a few of those.
The latest all bells and whistles GH5 less the AF issues.
A Sony as I have read their image quality is very good compared to other MFT.
Finally a cheaper option of the genre in the G80...in anticipation of learn how to take pictures first before buying expensive kit.

I hasten to add, these are plucked out the air somewhat so suggestions of other options would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks again, for your knowledge & your time.

Kind Regards,

NewShoota

Hello Everybody,

I went for the Panasonic G80 in the end.
I just seemed to be the best option as a hybrid camera - Stills & 4K video.

I couldn't justify going for the GH5 due to the price point & advanced video features that I don't think I'll even be thinking about let alone using, for a while.

A6500 lost out because of ommision of flippy screen & over heating issues.
D500 (& 7D mk2) because of being an advanced piece of kit as advised on here & no 4K video.

The G80 just seemed to fit what I was looking for.

I've been using it for a few days and I'm finding it a challenge let's say.
Trying to get out of AUTO as much as I can.
Mainly P or M.

Any advice going forward please?

Thanks,

NewShoota

Congrats on your new camera.

FYI, the d500 does have 4k video.

Congrats on your new camera.

FYI, the d500 does have 4k video.

Apologies, my editing skills need work.
Initially I put D500 due to advanced, then added 7d mk2 & 4k for that.

Was out and about in a tourist area today felt a bit of "Camera Envy" seeing BIG Nikon & Canon bodies.

Most reactions

Back