Need to improve my pictures

Well according to the EXIF data:

F/16
1/200
ISO 1600
Manual Mode
Flash Fired

You just overexposed the car in the center. Drop ISO and raise the shutter speed a bit.

Well those are some crazy settings
Plus center-weighted metering when using strobed light. :scratch:

Brian,

The best advice I can give to you is to take a subject, put your ISO to 200 (or 400 or what ever) put the camera in manual if that's how you want to shoot and set the light metering to center and/or full, get the light meter indicator to "0" (center) and start snapping away. Take a few photos with different shutter speeds and apertures at that "0" then take under exposures and over exposures - go up and down 2 or 3 f stops and shutter speeds. Then change your ISO and do it again. You need to get to know your camera and what the different settings affect.

Since its digital it costs you nothing but time and you will start leaning your camera and photography. Once you start gaining knowledge of both your camera and photography it starts to become easier and natural.

Brian,

The best advice I can give to you is to take a subject, put your ISO to 200 (or 400 or what ever) put the camera in manual if that's how you want to shoot and set the light metering to center and/or full, get the light meter indicator to "0" (center) and start snapping away. Take a few photos with different shutter speeds and apertures at that "0" then take under exposures and over exposures - go up and down 2 or 3 f stops and shutter speeds. Then change your ISO and do it again. You need to get to know your camera and what the different settings affect.

Since its digital it costs you nothing but time and you will start leaning your camera and photography. Once you start gaining knowledge of both your camera and photography it starts to become easier and natural.
Thank you sir! Best helpful person so far.

If I continue to take pictures of coverage, which lenses is a good lenses to get?

you have good enough lenses to learn on... Just keep clicking and learning. When you're not completely blowing out the subject of your photo, it might be time to look at getting another lens.

I know that, but I want a good lenses for summer, so I can do more car coverage. I also want to do photoshoots. Should I get a coverage lenses or a photoshoot type lenses? I will mostly be shooting photoshoot.

In this kind of setting it looks that you compose your photo in manual and your camera was in evaluative metering mode and give you light reading for the average of the frame and not for the center of the frame which is where you have the car. In this case you should have change your camera to spot metering measure the car, better yet measure on the gray pants of the guy that would have give you the right reflective light on the scene, recompose and make your shot. Use your LCD to check for your highlights areas and adjust your aperture accordingly.

You had plenty of time to take several shots to make sure you got it right..At least the car wasn't moving....

I did take multiple shoots of each car. I choose some because it is better then the other.

Brian,

This is basically "spray and pray" type advice, you find this helpful?

Do you even understand what a full stop of shutter speed is exactly?

My advice, take the money you are going to invest in a lens, and use it on a photography class- you will learn a lot from even a basic course.

For the meantime, set your playback on "highlight" it will cause any blown out areas to flash alerting you that you have lost all detail in that area. This will give you instant feedback.

p!nK

This was not a spray and pray as you suggest it is but a take a photo with your meter reading "correctly" and learn from what happens when you deviate. Also, change settings on your camera for "correct again" and deviate from that. It is a learning tool and not a way to take photos. Although back in the days of film the correct way to get the best photo was to bracket your shots - I guess digital has changed that somewhat.

Any inexperienced photographer should get to know technique and equipment. The problem is that so many newbies expect to put a camera in their hands and they can be a photographer - not true in most cases.

I think some or most experienced people forget that we all started somewhere in whatever we do and you may do something 1000 times before the light bulb goes off on why it works.

Brian,

This is basically "spray and pray" type advice, you find this helpful?

Do you even understand what a full stop of shutter speed is exactly?

My advice, take the money you are going to invest in a lens, and use it on a photography class- you will learn a lot from even a basic course.

For the meantime, set your playback on "highlight" it will cause any blown out areas to flash alerting you that you have lost all detail in that area. This will give you instant feedback.

p!nK

Brian,

You need to learn about photography before worrying about what lens to buy next. You can buy a $10,000 lens and the shots will come out looking like crap if you don't know how to take a photo - plain and simple. You need to try and try again getting better at what you are shooting.

I did not look at the exif data as others have but you were shooting at a high ISO and you were outdoors - the question is why and you need to know the reason why you shouldn't. There have been a few books mentioned on this website, I suggest you pick one up and start to read how it all ties in together.

I know that, but I want a good lenses for summer, so I can do more car coverage. I also want to do photoshoots. Should I get a coverage lenses or a photoshoot type lenses? I will mostly be shooting photoshoot.

This was not a spray and pray as you suggest it is but a take a photo with your meter reading "correctly" and learn from what happens when you deviate.

From the photo he posted, it looks like he is not metering "correctly", so why would it matter what it reads?

p!nK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back