Need your guys advice

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by JimmyO, May 6, 2008.

1. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi, im writing this because i think i got scammed. I had placed an ad on nikonians seeing if anyone was looking to sell a Sigma 70-200mm lens. Sure enough someone got back to me and we worked out $450 shipped. There were around 50 emails back and forth and he left his number if i needed it. He sent me pictures and was quick to make jokes, so basicly i felt there was NOTHING fishy. Anyways i sent him the money VIA money order and we confirmed he got it. At this point i began to lose contact with him as he began to not respond to emails claiming he was getting them and i wasn't receiving some. So now its been well over a month since he got the money and i cant contact him. What do you guys think i need to do next?

ANY help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

2. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Bummer.

Depends how brave you are. Maybe show up to his house.

Love & Bass

3. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ya, to bad he lives in canada, lol

4. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I was afraid that (or something along those lines) was the case. Maybe contact the better business bureau? I really have no idea what to do. I feel for ya none the less. He will probably have bad karma and or eventually get caught.

)'(

5. flygning

flygning TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Perhaps there are some members of the forum who live near him that would be willing to pay him a visit!

I feel bad for you-- Does the number he gave you work? If it does and he just doesn't answer your calls, call him from a friend's phone so he doesn't recognize the number. If not, and you do have an address for him, I'd suggest starting with the better business bureau to find out how to bring him to small claims court or something.

6. rubbertree

rubbertree TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    *I* live in Canada, Jimmy. Want I should pay him a visit??

Did you place this add on the Nikonians forum? When was the last time he was active there? Have you posted this issue there?

7. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Kiss your money goodbye...

This is why you have to really careful with online sales.

8. flygning

flygning TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Really the best you can do is post a warning thread about him on the nikon forum, and any others you think he might be active on. I know it doesn't help you much, but it'll keep others from getting into the same situation.

9. Jedo_03

Jedo_03 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Give us 'is email and everyone on the forum flood him with nasty messages

Write to the local newspaper in his home town...

Write to the police in his home town
    (or the Mounties - they ALWAYS get their man...)

Contact the moderators of the nikonians forum - they ought to be able to track his ISP... contact them and give them his email ID and tell'em one of their customers is using their business to SCAM others...

Certainly publicise what happened (name names) on the nickonian forum

Just thought - check with the postal service whether the money order has been cashed yet - tell them you've been scammed... People have to show ID when they cash a money order - yes?? Come to think of it... you would have to know the guy's name to put on the MO..? Yes??
    Jedo

10. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for all your replys guys.

Ill see what i can do. On that forum i have a few accounts (kept forgettinig pass) and ive only made a post or 2 (i much prefer TPF).

The hard thing is im not completly sure ive got scammed yet. I tried his email from other addresses and on random subjects but ive got no replys. I started to get worried when it was a few weeks and he handnt claimed he got the MO yet. Right before he did i had flipped out and then he explained everything and made me feel comfortable.

I should be safe since i got a MO right? Becuase he would of had to shown ID to cash it so i know i have his address and real name.

11. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    One of the "rules" for those kinds of deals including ebay is never pay by money order. Always use credit card or Pay Pal, because then you have a better chance of getting your money back through these firms.

skieur

12. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I always thought that MO was on the safe list while check, cash, and western union were the ones to stay away from. Anyways the guy had said that he had wanted to stay away from PayPal becuase he had recently had a bad experiance with it.