Need your guys advice

JimmyO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, im writing this because i think i got scammed. I had placed an ad on nikonians seeing if anyone was looking to sell a Sigma 70-200mm lens. Sure enough someone got back to me and we worked out $450 shipped. There were around 50 emails back and forth and he left his number if i needed it. He sent me pictures and was quick to make jokes, so basicly i felt there was NOTHING fishy. Anyways i sent him the money VIA money order and we confirmed he got it. At this point i began to lose contact with him as he began to not respond to emails claiming he was getting them and i wasn't receiving some. So now its been well over a month since he got the money and i cant contact him. What do you guys think i need to do next?

ANY help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Ya, to bad he lives in canada, lol

I was afraid that (or something along those lines) was the case. Maybe contact the better business bureau? I really have no idea what to do. I feel for ya none the less. He will probably have bad karma and or eventually get caught.

)'(

Perhaps there are some members of the forum who live near him that would be willing to pay him a visit!

I feel bad for you-- Does the number he gave you work? If it does and he just doesn't answer your calls, call him from a friend's phone so he doesn't recognize the number. If not, and you do have an address for him, I'd suggest starting with the better business bureau to find out how to bring him to small claims court or something.

Ya, to bad he lives in canada, lol

*I* live in Canada, Jimmy. Want I should pay him a visit??

Did you place this add on the Nikonians forum? When was the last time he was active there? Have you posted this issue there?

Kiss your money goodbye...

This is why you have to really careful with online sales.

Really the best you can do is post a warning thread about him on the nikon forum, and any others you think he might be active on. I know it doesn't help you much, but it'll keep others from getting into the same situation.

Give us 'is email and everyone on the forum flood him with nasty messages

Write to the local newspaper in his home town...

Write to the police in his home town
(or the Mounties - they ALWAYS get their man...)

Contact the moderators of the nikonians forum - they ought to be able to track his ISP... contact them and give them his email ID and tell'em one of their customers is using their business to SCAM others...

Certainly publicise what happened (name names) on the nickonian forum

Just thought - check with the postal service whether the money order has been cashed yet - tell them you've been scammed... People have to show ID when they cash a money order - yes?? Come to think of it... you would have to know the guy's name to put on the MO..? Yes??
Jedo

Thanks for all your replys guys.

Ill see what i can do. On that forum i have a few accounts (kept forgettinig pass) and ive only made a post or 2 (i much prefer TPF).

The hard thing is im not completly sure ive got scammed yet. I tried his email from other addresses and on random subjects but ive got no replys. I started to get worried when it was a few weeks and he handnt claimed he got the MO yet. Right before he did i had flipped out and then he explained everything and made me feel comfortable.

I should be safe since i got a MO right? Becuase he would of had to shown ID to cash it so i know i have his address and real name.

One of the "rules" for those kinds of deals including ebay is never pay by money order. Always use credit card or Pay Pal, because then you have a better chance of getting your money back through these firms.

skieur

I always thought that MO was on the safe list while check, cash, and western union were the ones to stay away from. Anyways the guy had said that he had wanted to stay away from PayPal becuase he had recently had a bad experiance with it.

One of the "rules" for those kinds of deals including ebay is never pay by money order. Always use credit card or Pay Pal, because then you have a better chance of getting your money back through these firms.

skieur

Ya thats what I was thinkng too. Money orders are useless for getting your money back. Its like sending cash.

If you had sent it by PP or CC, you could file a claim and probably have your money.
At least you know that now... don't ever send someone over the internet cash or a money order.

GEEEZZZ, am i completly screwed? There has got to be some method i could take to get my money back right?

I think once you are CERTAIN you are screwed, you can go to your police department and file a police report. You have the money order receipt so they might be able to do SOMEthing.. just not sure how much. Good luck :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back