Need your help ASAP - much appreciated!

vik611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm currently torn between two cameras and will be travelling to Spain in two days.

Some background information:

• I'm a beginner with respect to photography (i.e. only have previous experience with P&S cameras on auto). That being said, I'm willing to learn in the long run and want to take beautiful photos
  • I will be travelling a lot in the coming month/years
  • Specifically in Spain, I foresee that I will be taking mostly architecture (indoor/outdoor) and landscape photos
The two cameras I'm looking at are the Sony A6000 and Sony A7 (I know this comparison has been beaten to death) however, I can get the following combinations for more-or-less the same price (which leads to my dilemma):

1. Sony A6000 + 16-50mm (Kit Lens) + 10-18mm (SEL1018)
  2. Sony A6000 + 16-70mm (SEL1670Z - Vario Tessar Zeiss)
  3. Sony A7 + 28-70mm (Kit Lens)
Referring to Option 1, I included the 10-18mm wide angle since I'll be taking mostly architecture and landscape shots.

I would like to make a long-term decision and choose a camera I can grow and take beautiful photos with.

Sincerely appreciate your feedback! All suggestion are welcome, including inclusion of different lenses I may have overlooked.

Thanks

Hasty decisions.....tsk...tsk.

Perhaps you could put off the trip to Spain and look at all the various models you are interested in and make a proper decision.

I would pick option #1, the A6000, the 10-18mm zoom, and the 16-50mm zoom. Get two extra batteries for it. Enjoy Spain!

As I've told people numerous times, learning new gear on a critical shoot is usually a major mistake. The buttons and menus don't come 'automatically' the first 30-40 hours of shooting with a new camera. As a result, there's far more frustration with the new gear than need be.

OK, putting any of the cameras on your list on Auto and shooting would probably do the job. Now on my 3rd point and shoot and 3rd DSLR together, I've learned that the 'brains' for Auto shooting has improved greatly through the years. Except for too low-light and/or backlit situations, Auto will likely produce acceptable results.

As for which of the three cameras to buy, I haven't a clue. I have no experience with Sony equipment.

Here's my humble 2 cents in addition to what has already been offered above.
The UWA & The UUWA (ultra wide angles) are far more trickier to use correctly and so very unlike a normal glass say like your Kit lens. You will have to get acquainted with the glass to understand the tilt/distortion and the exaggerated perspective that this lens normally produce.
Am sorry if this sounds gibberish.

None of the above.
I'd go with an Olympus OMD system or Fuji system depending on budget and size. Sony has always been a pain when it comes to finding lenses and accessories.

Most reactions

Back