need your honest opinions

canon_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
here are some pix I took one tonight and one last night, i am vary picky about these images and would like some "fresh" eyes to look them over, do they look "over the top" to you ? out side of a magenta filter and a grad nd their wasnt much photoshop to these i did a mask and multiply to get it a little darker over all and played with a few things but nothing serious.

but you have to be honest if you think they are to bright or to this or that say so dont be shy at all

stoneborosunset4.jpg

stoneborosunsetsilverefex.jpg

you definitly don't have to worry about them being too bright.. i think some of them are a bit too dark in certain areas.. i'd get on photoshop and dodge out a few areas to show some of the docks and water.. play around and figure out which areas work best to brighten up.

Mike Leggero

http://www.michaelleggero.com

70+ views with only one reply with an opinion.... dont be lazy every one if your going to open the link to see the pic at least put your thoughs down

I like the first one, second is too dark for me overall. The third ones looks nuclear in the yellows and half way across it dies. Its a bit dark.

Lazy, eh? To tell you the truth, I figured folks were just keeping with mom's old rule, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". I could be wrong about that, but it's why I skipped over saying anything the first couple times I peeked in.

Since you insist on an honest opinion though, and I'm sure you're mature enough to handle it, I'll give mine.

1. WAY WAY WAY overcooked. I like vivid, over the top colors a lot, and have been known to overcook a photo or 12 myself, but this is just too over the top even for me. It looks like the sky was blown out around the sunset area, and you tried to compensate with a whole lot of PS color filter - only it just doesn't work. Yeah, it's orange all right - and ugly - seriously ugly. The sharpening halos in that area around the tower and the top of the treeline jerk and tug on my eyeballs too much as well. When I finally pull my eyes over toward the dock, there's more along it's left side, and then I'm confronted with neon purple water, like something out of an acid trip.

If you like it -great, but it's not for me.

2. This is just bad in a lot of ways, starting with the fact that the subject is out of focus. That alone kills the shot. But no, you decided to try to save it with a whole bunch of PS. Black and white fixes everything right? Nope, not this time. The sky looks like you went crazy with the shadow/highlight tool or something, and the reverse vignette? Please, please just stop. When the shot is no good to start with, throw it away and start over. Don't try to "fix" it in PS.

3. First and foremost, if you're going to make a pan out of multiple shots stitched together, the first rule is to work out your exposure settings and stick with them for each shot you'll use in the stitched pan. Not doing that kills this one right out of the gate. It's too dark on the left to begin with, but then to amplify that problem, it's way too bright on the right in comparison, like your sunset can't figure out which part of the sky to light up. The banding is really bad in this as well, there's weird patterns of noise and sharpening artifacts, and it too is overcooked.

Just being brutally honest with you: If they were mine, I'd delete them before anyone else saw them, and try again. But hey, it's just one guy's opinion, and I might be totally wrong. I couldn't figure out why everyone liked disco either, so there ya go.

Lazy, eh? To tell you the truth, I figured folks were just keeping with mom's old rule, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". I could be wrong about that, but it's why I skipped over saying anything the first couple times I peeked in.

Since you insist on an honest opinion though, and I'm sure you're mature enough to handle it, I'll give mine.

1. WAY WAY WAY overcooked. I like vivid, over the top colors a lot, and have been known to overcook a photo or 12 myself, but this is just too over the top even for me. It looks like the sky was blown out around the sunset area, and you tried to compensate with a whole lot of PS color filter - only it just doesn't work. Yeah, it's orange all right - and ugly - seriously ugly. The sharpening halos in that area around the tower and the top of the treeline jerk and tug on my eyeballs too much as well. When I finally pull my eyes over toward the dock, there's more along it's left side, and then I'm confronted with neon purple water, like something out of an acid trip.

If you like it -great, but it's not for me.

2. This is just bad in a lot of ways, starting with the fact that the subject is out of focus. That alone kills the shot. But no, you decided to try to save it with a whole bunch of PS. Black and white fixes everything right? Nope, not this time. The sky looks like you went crazy with the shadow/highlight tool or something, and the reverse vignette? Please, please just stop. When the shot is no good to start with, throw it away and start over. Don't try to "fix" it in PS.

3. First and foremost, if you're going to make a pan out of multiple shots stitched together, the first rule is to work out your exposure settings and stick with them for each shot you'll use in the stitched pan. Not doing that kills this one right out of the gate. It's too dark on the left to begin with, but then to amplify that problem, it's way too bright on the right in comparison, like your sunset can't figure out which part of the sky to light up. The banding is really bad in this as well, there's weird patterns of noise and sharpening artifacts, and it too is overcooked.

Just being brutally honest with you: If they were mine, I'd delete them before anyone else saw them, and try again. But hey, it's just one guy's opinion, and I might be totally wrong. I couldn't figure out why everyone liked disco either, so there ya go.

i did ask for honesty didnt i ? if I wanted some one to hold my hand I would stop shooting photo's

yes I did,

adjust the exposure every shot on the pans, if that is wrong how do you do it the correct way ?

I honestly didnt do much PS but here is what I did do:

I created another layer, then I clicked on that white circle inside the dark box and went up and clicked on "multiply" to darken every thing, then i flattened it out and used the HDR toneing then noise ninja to remove any noise.

hahaha "like something out of an acid trip" hahahahahahaha that is some funny $h!t hahahahahaha

I dont like them. Compositions are ok, but they are too dark and lack sharpness

1- Best of the bunch IMO. I like the red showing in the bench. The red is too bright and the rest is too dark though to really capture my eye. MY line made by the walkway leads me out of the frame.

2- that lifeguard tower is not sharp. Blurry subject matters are just not my thing

3- really do not like the processing here... it goes from dark to bright. The sun looks odd and again, lack of sharpness kills it for me.

Yeah, these look over-cooked. SHot #1 looks like a nice, lovely place. #2 looks weird.
#3 is wayyyyyy over-done on the sky tones...just looks, well, over-cooked. I think if #1 could be skillfully lightened up just a little, it would look better. The composition in #1 is decent, but in #2 the composition is just not working for me. #3 has that far-away look that comes from using a short focal length lens, and no really significant foreground element.

When it is that dark, getting something in the foreground can be a challenge: not every scene even has a foreground object, and so, when your choices are 1) a boat dock and 2) smooth water or 3) air, you really have to evaluate the focal length that will give some type of foreground object AND which will render the background large enough so that we can SEE the background objects, and develop some visual interest in them.

Compare shot #1 with the longer focal length to shot #3 done with the wide angle lens. Shot #1 shows the dock and the benches large and clearly enough that we can actually SEE them...in shot #3, the benches are very small, barely noted. In #1, the large area between the dock and the lifeguard station/second swim dock has a beautiful orange sunset color reflected in it, and we can SEE a relationship between the dock with benches and the lifeguard tower/swim dock, whereas in shot #3, the excessively short focal length makes the lifeguard tower/swim dock pairing seem far-away, insignificant, and well, meh!

This post illustrates a classic example of how ever-wider zoom lenses have made more bad photos than good ones easier and easier to make than ever before!!! Learning to use a really wide-angle lens takes a huge amount of discipline and effort. Every millimeter wider you go, the more-boring one's photos tend to become in marine scenes like this one where there is 600-800 yards of real estate in front of the camera.

keep the honest opinions and if you wanna chime in on how to make them better please do

the point is you can't really make "them" better. do a reshoot some time. thats the great thing about digital-no film. honestly try to take the photos you want not edit the photos into something you want.

Most reactions

Back