Need your input as to which to submit for a contest.

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I couldn't find another forum to post this in, sorry if its in the wrong one. :)

So I heard about a local photography contest that I was thinking about entering. This would be my first contest.
There are 12 categories, each winner wins a Nikon D5000. I'm thinking of submitting for either:

- Urban Landscape
desc: a thousand and one ways to see a city, either at home or away

- Love of architecture
desc: Love one of a kind doors? Ruins are your passion? A building inspires you?

As I have shot a nice series of night shots not too long ago, I was going to pick from this pool for my entry. Only one entry total per person, so I need the best.

I'd love to hear your input as to which I should submit. Or if you think none are worthy winners, let me know as well!

1.The zoom pan
3261663748_b06a72f145_b.jpg

2.The tilted street
3260831043_80ebd4d780_b.jpg

3.The cathedral doors
3261662056_d46b60a3e4_b.jpg

4.The lonely bench
3365721755_ed1af1af26_b.jpg

5. The Market (I'd have some cleanup to do in the sky me thinks)
3366545772_da169ef167_b.jpg

Many thanks for taking the time.

The full set is on my flickr here Night photos - a set on Flickr

I couldn't find another forum to post this in, sorry if its in the wrong one. :)

So I heard about a local photography contest that I was thinking about entering. This would be my first contest.
There are 12 categories, each winner wins a Nikon D5000. I'm thinking of submitting for either:

- Urban Landscape

- Love of architecture
desc: Love one of a kind doors? Ruins are your passion? A building inspires you?

As I have shot a nice series of night shots not too long ago, I was going to pick from this pool for my entry. Only one entry total per person, so I need the best.

I'd love to hear your input as to which I should submit. Or if you think none are worthy winners, let me know as well!

1.The zoom pan
3261663748_b06a72f145_b.jpg

2.The tilted street
3260831043_80ebd4d780_b.jpg

3.The cathedral doors

4.The lonely bench
3365721755_ed1af1af26_b.jpg

5. The Market (I'd have some cleanup to do in the sky me thinks)
3366545772_da169ef167_b.jpg

Many thanks for taking the time.

The full set is on my flickr here Night photos - a set on Flickr

Methinks number 3

I think the love of architecture, the only one that is very fitting is #3. However I also don't think it will print well since most of it is very dark except for the overly bright angels. (I'm assuming you'll submit hard copy photos for the contest?).

Urban landscape. 4 and 5 are the only possible options for this category (in my opinon) and honestly, neither one of those wow's me in the least.

#3 is a little dark for me. I'd probably submit #2.

I like #2 and #3 but think 3 would be the stronger choice, the blue really pops. #3 also looks like its tilted a little to the right.

I love pic 3. I couldn't resist having a little play around in photoshop. i know it's a bit extreme, but oh well :p.....

Either 2 or 3 in Love of Architecture. Like both of them very much.

#3 is dark but not too dark with plenty enough details in the dark areas. However, I am new to digital photography and have no idea how it would print.

As far as being worthy winners, who knows? Who knows what else will be submitted so it is very hard to make predictions. The one thing I'll say though is that nobody will laugh at you for entering snapshots with either of those 2.

#3, and I also recognize all these places in/around Old Montreal! :D

I like #2 for the urban category. Some of them, while they look impressive, are over-exposed for night shots. Maybe if they were darker; closer to how the human eye sees, they would be better?

I say none of these. Why? well there is nothing here that shows something that any tourist could not take, image quality notwithstanding. If you want to win something like this i think you need to show the judges something that no one else entering has shown, and show it well.

when reading this:

- Urban Landscape

it implies that you should strive to find a way to "see a city" that has not been noticed before, go looking for the thousand and second way!

I also tend to think that landscape means more than a picture of a building or two. to me it infers a "big picture" perspective that is lacking in all of your shots. it should show the character of the location as well as the location itself.

for example, i rather like bridges. a couple weeks back i was driving east on the ohio turnpike and there is a really cool bridge there that is cut into a hill and it is set at an angle to the road. its an older bridge and i thought it photo worthy as soon as i saw it coming up. however, on the way home as i approached the same bridge heading west there is a spot where you can see through the bridge and veiw miles of rolling hills, which that evening had a lovely hazey sky cloudng the distance just a bit. on the way east you just see a cool bridge, on the way west you see Ohio through the eyes of this old bridge. you need the westward shot.

good luck
jerry

Most reactions

Back