need your input guys.

The soft shutter release is not rare and not Nikon, typically they are third party screw in devices which raises the shutter release from being depressed to elevated.

Gary

I dunno about that particular one on Z's cam (although it looks nearly identical to me) but here's a picture from a book I purchased yesterday from the official Nikon distributor (factory outlet) when I was downtown looking for info on Z's camera - after being unable to find picture identification of his particular model.

Nikon_F2_Book.jpg

The old man there told me it was Nikon and that is was quite rare - "Only the first run came with" (I dunno how many that is though). The book the page (pictured above) is out of ($80.00) is an official Nikon publication and is showing a picture of Nikon's factory original release of the F2.

Other than that I don't know. It had me stumped when I saw it myself.

Last edited:
i asked my dad about the shutter, and he said that he never changed it when he bought it so basically thats it like that, no modification etc.
i just wanna learn the basics of photography, you know like how it was used to be.
because for me, being good in digital but cannot use filmed, you're not a real photographer.. just my thought. that's why i'm playing with my dad's old nikon, (the pics of the camera in this thread)

Firstly, I wouldn't worry about the soft shutter release or make it a big deal ... because in truth it isn't. Maybe it is a Nikon product maybe it isn't ... to be honest it has been a few decades, but I recall having no problem buying these items at any camera store ... and I thought they were third party items. It just screws in and out. Normally, the shutter release button is depressed surrounded by a threaded collar. The soft release simply threads into the collar, similar to a cable release.

Maybe you're right, the third party soft releases were not black, IIRC, so maybe this was a Nikon item.

Gary

Firstly, I wouldn't worry about the soft shutter release or make it a big deal ... because in truth it isn't. Maybe it is a Nikon product maybe it isn't ... to be honest it has been a few decades, but I recall having no problem buying these items at any camera store ... and I thought they were third party items. It just screws in and out. Normally, the shutter release button is depressed surrounded by a threaded collar. The soft release simply threads into the collar, similar to a cable release.

Maybe you're right, the third party soft releases were not black, IIRC, so maybe this was a Nikon item.

Gary

yup, important thing is, it takes picture. lol

Hows it going with that? You through your 1st roll yet? Are you B&W first or color?

Hows it going with that? You through your 1st roll yet? Are you B&W first or color?

not yet, got 12 shots and it's 24s.
it's colored, planning to take it to the store to be develope on saturday and buy the reversing ring.

i don't have photos taken outside my room so pretty much no interesting stuff if it's developed, just my room with different settings.
i've been busy on work so i didn't got the chance to go out and take photos, but i will try maybe on saturday too before i got it developed, save like 5 shots on the way.

if there's something interesting on the photos, i will post it here for sure. :wink:

For experimenting and learning I find 12 shot rolls more handy. Especially during the summer when film takes the worst beating. It's also easier to keep notes for 12 (for me) as they all fit one one flip-pad page. ;)

You're keeping notes right? :D

Looking forward to seeing your shots man!

For experimenting and learning I find 12 shot rolls more handy. Especially during the summer when film takes the worst beating. It's also easier to keep notes for 12 (for me) as they all fit one one flip-pad page. ;)

You're keeping notes right? :D

Looking forward to seeing your shots man!

reason why i bought the 24shots roll is because it's on sale for 99cents, lol
it's a fuji 100iso, so i'm guessing the picture would be greenish right?

notes you mean writing down the settting i used on each photo?
uhm, no, it's just an experimental so maybe i'll do that on my second roll, and another reason, i'm a lazy guy...

I dunno if you figured this out already, but, in order to turn the light meter on, you have to leave the film advance lever so that its not completely pushed in.
I have an f2 as well, i love it

Oh and where are you from because if you're a native english speaker and above the age of 7, you should be ashamed of yourself. If not then, good job on learning the shi**iest language in the world.

ok, so after i finished my first roll, (200 iso) i got it developed and came out with this photos, it's not really anything good, it's just a trial. the others are really really bad so i'll just post the "good enough ones"

0018379r10198nh4.jpg

0018379r102511hx5.jpg

0018379r103315hc2.jpg

0018379r103717qs5.jpg

0018379r105325gg3.jpg

all were taken at night except for the dog.

There's lots and lots of info on the net about different films, what they're good for and what they look like. Definitely do some generic searches - it'll be very worth it! Color too probably.

http://www.photographyreview.com/Learnguidesfilmcrx.aspx
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=35mm+film+properties&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=35mm+B&W+film+review&btnG=Search
and etc.

For many kinds of B&W film it's pretty easy to develop yourself. I think it's still cheeper too. It used to be about 5 cents on the dollar to do your own. I haven't done any for years now and I guess it's not as popular either so it's probably more these days. It's fun too! :D

How are you digitizing these? From negs on a flatbed or?

There's lots and lots of info on the net about different films, what they're good for and what they look like. Definitely do some generic searches - it'll be very worth it! Color too probably.

http://www.photographyreview.com/Learnguidesfilmcrx.aspx
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=35mm+film+properties&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=35mm+B&W+film+review&btnG=Search
and etc.

For many kinds of B&W film it's pretty easy to develop yourself. I think it's still cheeper too. It used to be about 5 cents on the dollar to do your own. I haven't done any for years now and I guess it's not as popular either so it's probably more these days. It's fun too! :D

How are you digitizing these? From negs on a flatbed or?

they did it on the store where i brought it to be developed.
negative - $4.99
CD - $4.99
printed copy - $5.00
i just took the negatives and the cd, cuz i won't be needing the printed copy.

cool beans, i'm getting the hang of the f2, i'm on my 3rd film now. (100iso)
looking to get a photo close to those on the link you gave, so 400iso b&w would work good to get a photo like that or there's a better film.?

Those were all taken with Kodak Tri-X, ASA 400. The film was free so that's what I used. Developing at home is quite easy and you have complete control over how you develop. After a bit, you can/will shoot a certain way and modify your development accordingly. I don't know if things have changed but commercial/store B&W development used to have beacoup quality control because their chemicals may be good, depleated and/or old.

But, with a scanner going B&W from color isn't a big deal.

Gary

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back