Need your opinions and thoughts

Rushfan67

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, I have a small dilemma and as I know it is ultimately my decision I thought I would bring it to all of you to see what you thought.

About 3 months ago I bought a D40 with the 2 kit lenses, I have really enjoyed the D40 and still like it very much, however I somehow got it in my head I needed a D300. So last Sunday I went and bought a D300 with the 18-200 lens - There was a 300.00 price drop on the camera and lens if purchased together. I brought it home and then thought why did I just do this? I took a few shots nothing crazy and then repacked it backup with the intent on returning it.

I am by no means professional nor would I consider my self even a good amateur. I love taking pictures and would like for it to turn either into a full time job or at least a part time thing eventually. I do not shoot on Auto with the D40 anymore I keep trying to experiment all the time so I thought the D300 was a good choice of upgrade.

Do you think I jumped too quickly for the upgrade? Should I just stick with the D40 and get to be as good as I can with that first? Like I said I know it is ultimately my decision but I just thought I would get some advice from all of you.

Here are a few of my shots, nothing spectacular but just to give you an idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25140176@N02/?saved=1

I appreciate any and all comments and opinions.

id recommend going up to the D80 if u want to upgrade, the D300 is too much for your level
youd be better off with a D80 with much more lens options and better image quality
but honestly, wait until you are really comfortable with all the good options (Aperture and Shutter Priority and Manual) then upgrade when you feel youve "outgrown" the D40

id recommend going up to the D80 if u want to upgrade, the D300 is too much for your level
youd be better off with a D80 with much more lens options and better image quality
but honestly, wait until you are really comfortable with all the good options (Aperture and Shutter Priority and Manual) then upgrade when you feel youve "outgrown" the D40
Crap talk.

Look, you have the D300 in hand. Was it a financial struggle? Even if it was only borderline, you have the D300 in hand. The glass you have will do for now. But you have the D300 in hand. It could be a case of buyers remorse of spending that kind of money, but is it a burdon to part with the money? If no, YOU HAVE THE D300 IN HAND.

I went from the D80 to the D300 without any difficulty. You will do the same. Sure, there is a learning curve and I am still near the bottom of it. It's a fantastic camera.

That my 2¢.

maybe you should go buy a Canon 40D and 5D...

My opinion ... I believe that people buying high end gear before they are ready is a waste of money and of good high end gear. Having a sophisticated camera before you are ready will probably hurt and retard your growth more than it helps.

I used to be a professional (news). I and my peers started out with one camera and one lens. We used that single combo until we knew it inside out ... until it was our best friend ... then at such time when reaching a certain level of proficiency we added another lens ... and used that lens until we could use it in our sleep ... et cetera.

Yes, this way is painful and slow ... and yes this is probably old fashion and not what you want right here and now ... and terribly unsexy ... but if you desire to become an exceptional photog ... this is the road I suggest ... this is the road that most of the professional photogs I know traveled.

Gary

If you can afford the D300 - keep it. Nothing wrong with aiming high. If I could get away with it, I would buy the 1DsMkIII - will not help me take better shots, but it will just prove that it's my fault and not cruddy camera.

If not, shame on you for buying it in first place :)

What is meant by D80 with more lens options? I thought D300 have similar if not better capabilities then D80 - please do not tell me it is like the D40? :(

Seefutlung makes some valid points. I'm slow to upgrade and knew my d80 well before I got my d300. Before my d80, I knew my d70 just as well. Before that I was overly familiar with, and could no longer stand my 990.

Kundalini makes a good argument too. Buyer's remorse can suck. However, if you're not starving two or more of your children, or your favorite one, keep it and make it worth it. Know you've made an error and own it.

Live up to the machine and don't upgrade again until you know you're ready. Practice Seefutlung's regimen.

I probably should have clarified something in my first post, it is not about the money. Maybe a little buyers remorse but mainly to see if others thought I was getting ahead of myself too fast and jumping to a camera that was probably too much for me at this point. I was thinking that maybe I would get frustrated quickly with it and then just end up selling it whereas now I am within my time limit to just take it back for full credit and just wait.

Or on the other hand keep it, use it every chance I get and get better at it and hope in the mean time not to get too frustrated with it.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom, I really do appreciate it! :mrgreen:

To globally say that anyone going from a low end to a higher end camera will slow your self edification is certainly not a valid point for all people.

I went from a Nikon E8800 (P&S) to a D200 and loved the progress. If anything, the challenge of having a camera difficult to use and challenging in EVERY way enticed and pushed me to learn more faster.

It all depends on the person and what their goals in photography are. If all you want is to snap off nice pics, then most any dSLR is not for you. If you want to learn what photography is from the technical and art standpoints, and are not averse to taking the time and dedication needed to educate yourself, you WILL get better results with that D300 and you WILL be happy.

My only question is... can you afford the upgrade without hardship? If yes, I say STICK WITH IT. :)

These topics/comments always confuse me. What is the difference between the 2 cameras? What is all this "upgrade/expand" talk about?

A camera is a camera, isn't it? You have aperture, shutter, and ISO with lenses. What else is there with an "upgrade" that is "too much" for a beginner?

I work on fairly big equipment and mess around with programing on the computer every day. All else that I can think of with an "upgrade" to a camera is some different features. Why is it difficult to move to a new camera or start with a bigger camera as a beginner? I use to have a VCR and when I got my first DVD, I certainly wasn't lost. I certainly didn't have people telling me "your not ready for DVD yet."

With the statements I see here, no one should be even recommending a D40 for a beginner. They should be recommending a simple P&S and when ready, advance to a single lens, then the D40, etc.... It seems like all hogwash to me.

These topics/comments always confuse me. What is the difference between the 2 cameras? What is all this "upgrade/expand" talk about?

I think we are very much onthe same page. :D

If there is no difference between cameras, let me take an example that is a little more extreme and demonstrate. Ask someone with a D3 and a pinhole camera to shoot an event, lets say a wedding or a graduation. The results will be different.

The D300 is so far above a D40, its not even a joke. If you need to ask what the difference is... you have simply not taken a look at both cameras.

Yes, yes, yes... we've all heard that the photographer takes the pic, not the camera. This is true ONLY up to a point. :)

Give that photographer a superior camera, you WILL get superior results. If this was not true, all professionals world wide would be using 1MP point and shoot cameras, saving themselves thousands of dollars.

Next year, I am going to be looking at the D3 or whatever is cream of the crop. Just because I did not spend 1 year on a P&S then 2 years on a D40, then upgrade to a D300, THEN go for a D3 is more intelligent. Why do I need to go through 5 models of cameras, likely spending 3 times more in the process to get to where I know I want to be?

Marketing hype.

Do the research, know what YOU want, and go out there and get it. :)

Picking a D300 over a 40D for a first camera doesn't mean anything. Just because you're not starting with an entry level camera doesn't mean it's going to take you three years to learn how to take a good photo as opposed to 6 months. These aren't motorcycles.

Learning the basics of photography can transfer to almost any camera. As far as I know the D300 has the same features as the D40 plus extras.

I went from 35mm slr to P&S digital to a D80. The learning curve so far has been with learning what I can do "in camera" to improve the technical quality of my photos. My "eye" hasn't changed. The artistic quality....or lack there of....hasnt changed from when I was shooting 35mm film.

If you feel that you have or may "technicaly" advance beyond what you can accomplish with the D40, by all means keep the D300. BY the same token, If you havent started shooting exclusively in manaul and have learned to use all of the what you D40 has to offer to help you get each shot right "in the camera" then maybe you have jumped the gun. It all comes down to whether or not you have a warm fuzzy feeling about the camera. If you feel that the D40 is holding you back or that the D300 will help you improve you abilities, then jump with both feet and dont look back.

A camera is an artists tool. A paint brush in the hand of a monkey would never have painted the Sistine Chapel. That being said....a camera can only record what you see. It's up to you as the photographer, to make the camera record it, the way you "FEEL" it.

Vince

Most reactions

Back