Needing an Upgrade

rc_ace184

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been out of the photography game for awhile, but have rekindled my love for it now that I have the time. I am using my Nikon D80 that I got 10yrs ago with the Nikon AF-S 55-200mm 1.4-5.6g ED VR lens. I have been shooting mainly rc planes and have started to get back into wildlife and nature. My D80 seems to be on its last leg as the auto-focus lags and doesn't seem to look on easily anymore.

I have done a lot of research on the D500 and am leaning towards that. But I am not against something different. I am most likely going to upgrade my lens as well. I would also like to shoot some video, which I know Canon leads the way in that over Nikon. Would the D500 be the way to go, or what else should I look in to. The top of my budget for camera and lens would be about $3k.

D500 has best APS-C sensor in DSLR world, it also have best auto focus system!
It have good video with 4K
If you want an APS-C camera then the D500 is the best in its class
But you can go cheaper and loose a little and get the Nikon D7500, it has same video features with the 4K
Same senor as the D500, you are loosing a little in 8FPS vs 10 FPS and the huge buffer size but the one on the D7500 is plenty big. Also loosing second SD card which isn't a big deal if you don't do paid jobs, and loosing the amazing auto focus of the D500 to the still very good 51AFP

Canon is not bad and does video well, not better then the D500 mind you, its advantage is the video follow focus, everything else the D500 pretty much leads here.

I looked at the D7500 as well. The slight difference(2) in fps doesn't bother me. Seeing as how I am coming from 3fps, lol. I saw it had the same sensor and processor as the D500, I've just been thinking about the difference in AFP. I just don't want to settle for the D7500 and always wonder "what if."
As far as a lens, I was leaning toward the Nikon 200-500mm. Which I could obtain more easily if I got the D7500. But I know there are cheaper alternatives out there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back