Needing some critiques.........Fail shoot

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by yugamu, Oct 5, 2008.

1. yugamu

yugamu TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well, I was asked to take some shots for a local t-shirt company (fail clothing). I'm fairly inexperienced with shooting people so I'm asking for some constructive abuse. Thanks in advance.

-josh

1).
    [​IMG]

2).
    [​IMG]

3).
    [​IMG]

4).
    [​IMG]

Here's more of what I'm used to shooting.
    5).
    [​IMG]

2. Big Bully

Big Bully TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that #3 is your best shot. It seems as if your models are pissed to wear the clothing or to even be in the photo shoot. Your girl in #2 is trying to be seductive and not pulling it off well. But I'm not sure why. It could be that the position she is in is not a sexy pose.
    Your lighting also needs a little work. Lighting doesn't bounce and reflect off of people like it does cars.
    Your last shot is fantastic, lighting and composition.

3. Evil Eagle

Evil Eagle TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fapout? hahaha

4. Evil Eagle

Evil Eagle TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When mask, skyscraper and punkass see those shirts I think the **** will hit the fan btw.

5. Big Bully

Big Bully TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How come?

6. yugamu

yugamu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cool Meg.........that's what I was looking for. Gimme some more folks, honest it only helps.

7. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey, finally someone who does what I do!

(I shoot t-shirts full time for an internet company.)

For me, the only one that works is the first one. The shirt is clearly seen, and the eye is not distracted by the model.

In the second one, the model looking right at us takes away from the shirt, as does the dirty background and the fact that the majority of the shirt cannot be seen. Also I believe I can see her bra through the shirt. The hair light also doesnt work as well here as it does on the first.

The third isn't that bad, the model is looking off screen so the attention is at the shirt. However the photos is too large to really be focused on the shirt. The background is distracting, as is the very unnatural hair light, which is also wrapping her body. A tighter crop and some PP work on her skin would help.

The fouth one is quite honesty my least favorite. The models look like they are attending a funeral. Also, neither shirt is focused in the picture very well, they are both side shots of the shirts.

Keep it up though, you are certainly talented.

8. Evil Eagle

Evil Eagle TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    TapouT.com

They built their company from nothing, so I don't think they will enjoy it when someone rips off their logo.

9. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Parody is fair game in the United States. The shirt (I am assuming) is a parody of the Tapout brand.

10. photogmatt

photogmatt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    3 of the most annoying people in all of MMA. Before they get all angry, they should check parody laws. I see logos of many companies turned into parodies, if Coca Cola can't get it to stop, I doubt Tapout can. Seeing as it's funny, they should just laugh and move on.

I agree with everything you said, only I also think the backgrounds take away from the shirts. I find my eye wandering all over the photos for the most part instead of looking at what they are trying to sell.

In addition I think the backlight is too powerful, and I agree with another comment that the model on the car attempting to be sexy is not working.

11. mmcduffie1

mmcduffie1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #1 is probably the best shot since the tshirt is the subject. I'm not sure about the models. They don't seem to enjoy wearing the tshirts.
    Go outside and do a few with natural light. (i'm a natural light junkie)

12. Big Bully

Big Bully TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I keep coming back to your shots and I found some other things that need to be fixed. Granted I had to ask the opinion of my husband who is also a photographer, but here is what we figured out.

Your background is too deep and too busy. It is very distracting. The positioning of the camera is good because you can see part of the car and the model, but the light is too bright on her face, the background is too cluttered and the models positioning could be better, aka not so ridgid. RMT I thought I saw alittle bra in that one too!

In the 3rd shot, you need a different angle of the camera, you have a wide shot when it should be tall. You can see part of the car, part of her leg (which took me a minute to realize what it was), and if you are going to have part of the leg and the car in the photo you need more. And again the background is way too distracting, the lift in the background is way too noticable. So switch your view, and get more leg or even cut them off totally and this shot will be better.

#4 I agree is my least favorite shot also. You don't get a good representation of the shirts. Also they are standing in a shop that is cluttered with posters, lifts and other stuff that it takes away from the models. It also makes one wonder what the crap they are looking at. Like RMT said, are they at a funeral?

#5 works because the car is in the background with the other stuff. And so it kindof blends in.

If you want to use the car, put it in front of the garage door or just make the background black, then you will get better pictures.
    You have great ideas, keep it up.