NEF to TIFF or DNG

tenlientl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've googled Nef vs DNG, I've googled pretty much "d90 nef vs dng." and nothing helped me.

I have a D90 and shoot in RAW/NEF. Usually I convert them to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter for LR2/CS3. I'm starting to think I should just convert the .nef to .tiff. or stick with DNG?

I know with DNG, I can go back and redo changes, but what if I'm SURE I only plan to edit them once for JPEG. Would it be better to PP with DNG or TIFF?

Thanks

I would say .tif would be fine. I also have a D90 and only edit my photos once, and I always edit them in .tif and it doesn't kill picture quality or anything like that.

You could debate that 'til the cows come home. My workflow goes like this: Do basic adjustments to RAW files, save as .tif, do detailed post-processing to .tif files save .tif files and if using for the web or consumer printing, save as .jpg

You could debate that 'til the cows come home. My workflow goes like this: Do basic adjustments to RAW files, save as .tif, do detailed post-processing to .tif files save .tif files and if using for the web or consumer printing, save as .jpg

Thing is, only way for me to adjust my RAW(.nef) files is through ViewNX. It's very limited imo. So I have to either convert to DNG or TIFF for LR2/CS3

If you have CS3, download Adobe RAW, it's a free plugin to make adjustments to RAW and NEF and then open them.

EDIT: Sorry I misread what you typed. I think that downloading a trial of CS3 will do you well, and you can use it for 30 days.

I do have CS3, but wait... Are you able to edit your D90's NEF(straight from camera) with Adobe products?

I guess they recently did an update?

I do have CS3, but wait... Are you able to edit your D90's NEF(straight from camera) with Adobe products?

I guess they recently did an update?

i go nef to light room2 and 90% of my work need go no further... the heavier stuff i edit in tiff for it's universal acceptance...

DNG from camera to LR2 (or Capture One) and do my adjustments. I then save as tiff and archive.

From what I hear, DNG is moving up in the world as being widely accepted format that will carry into the future. My observation tells me otherwise and I still see TIFF as being the most widely used/supported.

Most reactions

Back