negative-only scanners?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by natlp, Oct 13, 2007.

1. natlp

natlp TPF Noob!

Hi
    I'm a newbie. Been researching negative (transparency) scanners online. Does anyone know of any affordable (below $100) neg scanners (35mm) that are available now or soon? I've only seen flatbeds.
    Thanks!:hail:

2. Joxby

Joxby TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your spoilt for choice scanning 35.
    Dunno about $100 though, theres hundreds on ebay..

3. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Sorry but you're not going to find a dedicated film scanner for $100 or less... it's just not going to happen unless someone has a house clearance and has no idea what they're selling.

The most reasonably priced dedicated scanner would be the Plustek models... otherwise I'd look at a decent flatbed model. I know some people are convinced that only a dedicated 35mm scanner will do, but the best Epson flatbeds are excellent and have the advantage of being able to scan larger film formats too.

4. photochucker

photochucker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    natlp

Do an #bay search for a Agfa DuoScan!! I just bought one for $50.00 plus a bunch for shipping as I live halfway to nowhere. The model I got was a T2000XL
    They will scan up to a 9.5 x 12 INCH negative on some models using a multi size tray system that pulls out from underneath the scanner top plate. I think you can scan documents up to 17 inches on the top plate.

Scanning resolution might not be what you want for 35mm but it might do.

They are all scusi machines and you will have to buy a card for your computer - mine cost me about $25.00 and make sure you get one that works with your operating system - and yes they do work with Windox XP.

As a further benefit - you can go to the Agfa site and download current drivers and software for them as well.

Also "Digital Ice" states their program works as well - not cheap but if that is what you are into it gives you some options.

PM me if you want more info.

Photochucker

5. _SnapShot_

_SnapShot_ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Flatbeds are cheaper usually not as good. Units designed for negatives are usually better but cost more. If they could make negative scanners for less, they would sell them for less because of the competition.

You get what you pay for.