Negatives gone bad

I got my tank and reels today! The reels are plastic and you can adjust for sizes up to 220. I'll post a picture later, but they have a slot that you put the film through with ball bearing and it is super easy to load. I just did a roll and they came out perfect.
I feel spoiled now :D

Yeah, I love the old fashioned steel reels, they take a certain getting used to though. And the plastic reels to have the above mentioned advantage of adjusting to 120/220 (and even 127 for a lot of them) which would be difficult w/ steel

Unfortunately, there are a host of problems being discussed in this post and since it is rather late, I'll only address one of them at this time.

First of all, there is nothing wrong with stainless steel reels and/or tanks, but there is a "problem" in learning how to correctly load them so that your film doesn't touch.

In order to successfully load the film on a stainless steel reel, the reel must be kept flat on the table or on the shelf at all times!!! Otherwise you'll run into problems, i.e. disappointments.

The first thing to do is to practice in the daylight - more than several times - with a "junk" roll of film, i.e. "junking" a roll of film is far cheaper than ruining a treasured roll that you've just spend hours, days, weeks, time and effort in exposing. Once you've mastered the loading process in daylight, practice several times in the dark and examine the result with the lights on as noted below.

After cutting the film's leader, place the end in the center of the reel. Use your left thumb and the left first finger to hold the film and place them so that they are touching the outer edge of the reel with the film being gently held and slightly curved. The pressure of your thumb and finger (and the palm of your hand) should be sufficient to hold the film/spool in place while the film is being loaded.

With your right hand (thumb and first finger), "walk" the film onto the reel by turning the reel backwards - again, making certain that the reel is on the table or shelf!

If you have correctly placed the film in the center of the reel, it should load quickly and easily. Keep on turning the reel backwards - in place - with your right hand while keeping your left thumb and first finger gently holding the film in a curved position and touching the outer edge of the reel.

Every once in a while, move your right hand gently down towards the center or beginning of the reel with a minimum of pressure on the sides of the reel. Slightly move the film back and forth with your left thumb and finger so that your right thumb and finger "feel" the easy movement of the film on the inside of the reel. This should indicate that your film is being loaded properly and is on "track."

Continue to load the film as above and check the "progress" of your loading by "feeling" the movement of the film with your right hand.

Once your practice roll of film is loaded, hold the reel up to the light to insure that no film is touching.

If you happened to be right handed, just simply switch the hand positions.

Speaking of stainless steel reels and tanks.

Although I've used them for decades, I much preferred the plastic tank and reels made by Gepe, for a number of reasons which I will discuss sometime later. Unforunately, they may no longer be made and/or imported

Hope this is useful.

Bill

Most reactions

Back