Nervous as heck...

It's just that people who choose NOT to spend a lot, get crap for it.

That irritates me.

Like I said to Josh, if you have the money, go for it, but there's no reason you should be beat down because you don't.

I didn't have a "TLC" style wedding either.

I chose not to.

I never meant that there is anything wrong with those who don't value the pictures from their wedding, or just don't want to spend a fortune on that aspect. What I meant, in regards to this wedding specifically, is that just because you don't want to spend a lot doesn't mean you have to blatantly disregard the photographer that you did hire. These people were uncooperative and made it difficult.

That being said, there is a massive market for people re-creating their wedding to get proper pictures... Regrets, anyone?

I wasn't talking specifically about people not valuing wedding photography... I was talking about people not wanting to dump money into a wedding as whole. :lol:

But yeah... they DID make it difficult... which I never disagreed with... that was never my point other than to say that Kerb did what he could *because* they were difficult. :lol: Which was an entirely different point than the one I was trying to make in reference to "ghetto" weddings. :biglaugh:

Still going in circles. I'm getting dizzy now. :lmao:

"Flash dominant"? What??? Of course they're flash dominant[/B]...look at that BLACK ceiling, and the TINY LIGHTS...the place was a black hole....there's no ambient light even worth shooting for...solution? Shoot all-flash,. Flash as Main Light. Shoot "flash" "Flash". Full-flash. Slow-synch flash. Rear-curtain synch flash. TTL flash. e-TTL Flash. FLash. Flash. FLASH!

This was a simple wedding in a dark, low-budget location. They got sharp, clear, well-focused pictures. FAR, far better than what friends would have done with camera phones or P&S cameras. They payed $200, which they could barely afford. THey got a hell of a deal. The bride looked pretty. The groom looked good. The girls in the wedding party looked pretty. They will look at the pics a lot in the next few months, and then, less and less and less as the years go by. This wasn't a "rich Daddy and Mommy, Bride's Magazine" wedding on any count--dress, cake, location, planning, logistics, tables ,food/catering, wedding party, friends, family. I think the bride and groom got a good value, some good pics, and a fair and accurate representation of the wedding that THEY ACTUALLY WANTED, and which they actually HELD.

I by the way, gave you an internet high-five above in Bazooka's post...I think a lot of people are confusing this kind of a wedding with the storybook weddings we see on TV.

I'll have to disagree with you there bud. Look at images 1-9 were there was clearly ambient spill yet the flash was too dominant. Also look at images 8 and 9 you can see via reflection that the curtains were closed. Therefore there could've been more ambient used. I was talking about the getting ready shots if you read my post.

The venue is a different story. Too me as much as possible minimal flash whenever you can = more detail and less power used.

e.rose after this thread:

On a more relevant note, was there at least a soft box or diffuser of some sort on the flash, since it could not be bounced?

Last edited by a moderator:
erose loves me so much, she named her cat Robin.

Crappy ambient light versus well-exposed flash? My choice would be flash. Just because there is "light" coming in through windows doesn't mean it's worth shooting by that light...it's often more of a hassle than it's worth...I don't agree that the getting ready shots are too flash dominant...the entire idea is that he *is* shooting with *flash*. The phrase too flash dominant presumes that ambient light is better or would have been better, and that less flash would have been a better approach. I just don't see it that way.

Of course, shot #2, of the bride in her dark,wrinkle, tank-style undershirt, with the blue hair band...and the hot specular highlights on her cheeks...that WOULD be the photo that Schwettylens selected to harp on, in light of his well-knoiwn animosity toward Kerbouchard's abilities...THAT shot does suck, big-time. And the flash looks bad in that one.

Man Kerb...is your mind ready to explode yet? LOL

I'm not capable to give critique in any way, but I do enjoy the fork that's possible stuffed down into an uneaten piece of cake in the last shot :)

I had to google fong dong. I thought Schwitty lost his marbles. lol

Man Kerb...is your mind ready to explode yet? LOL

No, it's all good. To be honest. I would have liked to do things a lot differently. I do agree with many of the critiques. My only gripe is that a few people are assuming that it was a mistake or poor shooting technique, when, IMO, it was choosing the least bad choice.

As far as the shots, these were kind of a selection from throughout the night. It wasn't my intention to make these perfect or to say they were. There is a reason 'qe' is at the end of the filename. Stands for quick edit...as in did some crops, a few exposure adjustments, a batch resize, and an upload.

My intention was just to share some examples of what was by far, the most challenging wedding I have shot.

I'll take what you guys have said into account for my actual edits, and I appreciate the feedback.

Oh, and FWIW, there is no money. A few of her friends, and I, are going to chip in to make her an album...That's pretty much it.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree. I wish there would have been more room to move them away from the walls. I also wish the guests would have at least made an effort to look my general direction during the posed shots. As far as distracting elements in the frame, well, it is what it is. Like I said, this was my first, and last, budget wedding.

You only do "budget" jobs for friends that you know. Of course I say this and I have a gig coming up soon similar to this. Its for a girl that works with my wife. But I hope they class it up some. I plan on doing an engagement shoot with them so I can get to know them better and they can see how I work. Its very important they know how you work.

Now as for your pics I would go with schwetty and see how some bw renders come out. I can almost guarantee the end product will look better then in color especially the shots where the background is a bit too dark from the flash. I really like bw for wedding shots. Very timeless and classic.

And she really should not have let her brides maids pic out their own dresses. Sheesh!
6884079043_277cf49a8f_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back