Nervous Breakdown

Alpha

Troll Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am totally having a nervous breakdown over Polaroid going out of business. All of my other discontinued materials are vacuum sealed and the important ones are stored in a -80 C freezer. But I can't freeze instant film, and it will start to noticeably go bad about a mere 6 months or so past date even if stored in the fridge. Type 55, especially, will be getting a candle-light vigil from me. They're only making enough to last through 2009. Time Zero may have been best for transfers but at least there were alternatives. Type 55 is such an incomparable medium. What worries me about this isn't that the film, in and of itself, is being discontinued. It's that I'm not good enough to ****ing shoot it yet. My Super XX and my KC25 are in deep freeze till I've got the right project and are comfortable enough in my abilities to take advantage of them. But I worry about wasting it. I know there will be so many occasions in the future when I say, "if only I could shoot this on 55." Not so much of a problem with my other stuff, which will last at least until I feel "good enough" to properly use it. At $4 a sheet, it isn't exactly a cheap film to stock up on. By price it easily out-paces anything else I've got, except maybe the KC25. So what now? I know I need to make my peace with it. Just buy a bunch and shoot like mad. But two and a half years? **** me. I learn fast but not that fast.

Dude, Polaroid is going out of business? that sucks arse!!

And I would just use it for shots that you think are worth using it for. If you don't use it, then it'll just go bad and then you won't be able to use it at all.

Ever tried to buy a typewriter lately? You just gotta move on man - get with the new technology and look forward, not backward.

You would lament, too, if you'd ever shot the stuff.

A 4x5 shooter learning that all the world's Polaroid film will expire in 2009 is like a housewife learning that in 2009, all of the world's Tupperware will disappear. Sure, there will still be ziplock bags but it's just not the same!

This is not unexpected. We can lament the passing of Type 55 and other Polaroid materials, but that doesn't mean we have to fret about it affecting some project we might have in the future. Turning materials into icons is not good for the soul.

Given Polaroid's economy with the truth in the last couple of month, the availability of 55 through to 2009 cannot be guaranteed.

Use it while it is available, and be grateful that you had the opportunity to use it.

A 4x5 shooter learning that all the world's Polaroid film will expire in 2009 is like a housewife learning that in 2009, all of the world's Tupperware will disappear. Sure, there will still be ziplock bags but it's just not the same!

I suspect that most 4x5 users are not as obsessive as you are.

Best,
Helen

Remember when Kodak actually made B&W paper and chemistry? Remember Ektar 25? And the buggy whip and the afore mentioned Selectric. Roid is going down the same path. And most remaining 120 film is going next followed by 35. I had a debate here a couple years ago about the disposable film camera disappearing in favor of a digital version. This will happen also, and sooner than later. We need to adapt and proceed. We may not like it any better than the buggy whip manufacturers, but all things move on. Just imagine what will replace digital as we know it know. Will we morn it's loss and hoard flash cards and CCD sensors? Just a thought.

I'm not saying that polaroid, or film in general is a better medium. It is a unique one, though. That loss I mourn.

The end of an era for sure. I am very sad as well.

I read that they would license the technology to a third party. What about fuji alternatives?

Love & Bass

Fuji does have the production capabilities for this stuff. Whether they'll pick it up is another story. If anything I'm hoping for 55. But I'd settle for ANY black and white instant film in 4x5.

Fuji 4x5 FP-3000B

I've never used it, but I guess I might give it a go now.

Best,
Helen

Okay but really...ISO 3000? Not quite what I was looking for. We use Polaroid's equivalent of that in our biochem laboratory for photographing DNA gels on a UV light table. Not exactly something I'm going to shoot a portrait with.

I just stocked up on a **** load of the stuff. It's a sad day, but with Fuji making the stuff, and Polaroid 'happily' selling the rights, I'm sure if we just wait it out a while, there'll be a replacement that works.

Helen, Do you know if the Type 55 neg can be developed outside the instant packet?

Also heard that Illford would be a player in the technology?

ƒ¨ç?!!!!! When I was in the Home Fashion industry we would sometimes shoot 8x10 Polaroids. When I was a young assistant I was actually in the same room as Polaroid's 20x24 traveling camera. Just recently I had my girl's kids here and they flipped over my One Step. My first camera was an Sx70 that my pop bought me for Christmas. We can speak of the death of the darkroom and film, but I thought Polaroid would always be there. I mean Polaroid actually has a place in my heart. I even have a Polaroid wall! ƒ¨ç? all the non believers!!!! I too will have a candle light vigil in 2009.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back