networking help

lisa_13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have a couple questions about networking...

i've been wanting to branch out and work with more bands (ads, album art, live show coverage, etc.). a few of my friends are in bands so i have a couple of clients there, but how do i go about going to local shows and promoting myself? i go to a lot of shows anyway, so i figure i'll bring my business card to hand out, but who do i give it to? whoever is running their merchandise stand? wait for the band to finish and give it to a member? i'm just kind of stuck on who to talk to to make sure my name gets to the right person.

any other networking tips would be great too.

thanks
lisa

Hi Lisa,

An educated guess would be to try to affiliate yourself with your local venues. You chances of exposure to many bands would be far greater than chasing a couple of bands around. If you are lucky enough to be located near a venue that is a hot spot for live acts, and the venue attracts alot of different acts, you could be noticed, if your work is good enough.

Once established as a photographer for a venue, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the details of band management or manager or representative. A simple phone call or meeting well before the live act date, would allow them to be aware you are there and that there will be images available for either view or sale.

It is then up to you to shine. If art is involved, it would be ideal to have a portfolio gallery for any potential client to view if your work sparks an interest with them.

Another thought being invloved with a venue is the possibilty of designing promotional posters and literature for them for upcoming acts. Being attached to a particular band can have many avenues: All that you mentioned.

Good luck with it all.

Most reactions

Back