Neutral filter users?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by tvphotog, Sep 20, 2007.

1. tvphotog

tvphotog TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    How many of you use a clear filter screwed to the front of your lens as protection against scratching and damage?

Are there downsides to using them?

Thanks.

2. itoncool

itoncool TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I used to use neutral clear filter before, but now I don't put anything in front of my lenses beside ND or CPL (if needed only).
    To me, NC is no use. For protection, I always attach Lens Hood.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i do, along with a hood. It's cheaper to replace a $50 filter than a $1200 lens from scratches. It's saved my butt twice.

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah the glass on most of them is cheap, and it moves the front most glass to the end of the lens rather than some lenses like the MicroNikkor 105mm AF D f/2.8 which has its element recessed 6cm into the lens.

The problem with this is it makes the lens more susceptible to flare. Mind you it takes 6 seconds to remove a filter so you can always reshoot or temporarily remove if it's going to cause a problem. A lens hood may prevent straight on knocks, but doesn't stop dust, water, sand, or some long sharp instruments that may bump against the lens at an angle worthy of Murphy's praise. If it can go wrong it will, so minimise what can go wrong!

5. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    for protection I do have it on all but my telephoto. I am out in the green often, when branches and protruding parts of rock often get dangerously close to the glass, even with a lens hood attached.

My telephoto has a protective glass included in its design anyway, so the front glass is not a lens.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    yup.. i do... Lenses worth several thousand and the filter is worth under $100. Which do you think I would rather replace. It takes a few seconds to remove if flare is experienced.

Are they call Neutral Filters or UV / Skylight filters?

First thing that came to mind when I read the topic was Neutral Density filters.

7. itoncool

itoncool TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It depends, Nikon has UV, Skylight, Neutral Density & Neutral Colour (I wrote Neutral Clear, my mistake). I still use ND, but never use NC anymore.

Canon has Regular filter, maybe same as NC in Nikon.
    Hoya or B+W don't have this kind of filter. Correct me if I'm wrong

after reading your post, now I'm not so sure what kind of filter the OP means, because in his question he only used "clear" to determine the filter.

8. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    On my first three lenses, I put a UV filter on each (habit from days gone by). I did get the upgraded glass filters though. After some additional reading when I got my 12-24mm Nikkor, I decided not to get the UV for it. WHY? Because if it's not mounted on the body with the hood waiting for the shots to be fired off, it sits in it's own lens case. I don't just walk around with it attached. I'm planning to buy a CPL for it, but not a UV.

9. RacePhoto

RacePhoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, every lens gets one as soon as I get the lens. If it's a used lens, I do a detailed cleaning. They are never removed.

Neutral would be more of a neutral density filter, used to reduce light, so what you are asking about, aren't neutral filters.

You might choose a Skylight 1A, or 1B (supposed to be warmer) or UV (all of these are called Haze filters), which are supposed to reduce haze.

All you need is to have one lens ruined by a stone, or bumping, and you'll always buy a protective filter.

Also, if I'm shooting and there's mist or dust (I confess it's wrong, but it's the truth) I wipe the filter with the corner of my shirt, a tissue or a towel, and don't have to worry about ruining a lens.

What would you do if you got a speck of something directly on your front element and you were shooting sports, or an event? Doesn't matter, if you are shooting a still life. Stop... go get a little lens tissue out of the sealed envelope and maybe some liquid, then go to a dust free place. You don't want to scratch the lens, or make it worse. Blow it off with the bulb and carefully clean the lens? Then go back to shooting.

Or wipe it off with your shirt? :lol:

You can save $39 and skip the filter to protect your $400 to $2000 lens.

Does that make any sense at all?

Consider the filter a small inexpensive, lens insurance policy.

10. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    For really wide angles, consider the filter with the thinest ring.