never expected this behavior from a "professional"

DSLR noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I have a mini rant to go off on if you guys don't mind a bit of reading.

This weekend I was at a workshop to train our highschool yearbook staff. A tad bit of background is that 10 schools were there with about 7 members from each school and I am the head photographer for our yearbook(I am the only staff member with an SLR and only 3 of the 7 schools have SLR cameras). Well there were several guest speakers at this yearbook seminar-like thing and one had 2 hours to try and give a better understanding of photography. His intro went something like this.

"Hello my name is ______________, I am part of ____________ a company that does shots for highschool yearbooks. We do the hard stuff like sports events and low light areas etc. We can come to your school and take pictures if you want or teach you a bit more about your camera."

....... ok so far, he's adverstising...... a little self centered but ok

"I can't wait to see a day where I open up a yearbook and don't see a single photo from my company, because that tells me that you as people are learning and developing to take your own pictures."

Wait, what? That seems nice, you want to see us take good photos witthuot your help? I doubt that because it would put you out of business, and our school doesn't use a professional for anyhting other than the class photos. Let's here what else he says (it gets really bad)

"Well I know for a fact this year we gave a Rebel to ____________ (he points to a school in the room). Now, for those of you who don't know, a Rebel is a fairly high end consumer camera (I hold up my Rebel XT for him to have an example, he sees it) oh yeah that kid has one. Well it's nice but it gets laughed at in the professional world(that a-hole just put down my camera). 'Can a rebel take good pictures?' Yes it can, 'Can it take pictures as good as my $6,000 camera?'(holds up a 1D Mk II n) no it can't. That camera can get good crisp shots, even a rebel can take some professional pictures in perfect scenarios, but it is limited by so many things (Keep in mind my camera is probably the nicest camera that us highschoolers can get our hands on, it is the best in the room other than his camera. All other kids use point and shoots and the other schools that have a DSLR, have to share just 1 amung the entire class, mine is my personal camera). I'd say a Rebel added to your yearbook photography line would be great, but that will need a lot of help. If all you had was (he looks around, spots a girl with a P&S and asks to borrow it) this little thing, you'd be in serious trouble. I mean even a point and shoot can manage a few good well lit shots, but it's even worse than the Rebel. (Ok so far he's put down all of the kids in the room saying that our equipment is bad, he disses the nicest cameras(mine, the other Rebel School, and a D40), and just plain laughs at the P&S cameras 98% of the kids will be using). That's where we come in, most of you can't get an aperture number lower than 4.5 or you might have a Rebel. You still only get down to 3.5, the camera is physically limited to that aperture. Our cameras can go down to 2.8"

OMG he's lying to get us to use his service, a fellow photographer is telling false information to kids he is supposed to be teaching. I wanted to hold up my Camera again to say, "Um... with this lens my Rebel can go to 1.8 (50mm)". After that he goes on about how they use top of the line gear and only with that you can get good shots then listed his prices...... at the end of this horrible advertisement, a teacher says "Aren't we supposed to be learning how to take good photos?" He then said something about ISO being the most important part of the camera, and you never want to use a shutter speed slower than 1/100 or faster than 1/320 and that auto mode will help us the most. Followed by a bunch of other BS he is using to keep us from taking good photos on our own so we use him. ............ I am so pissed. He was supposed to teach us, not sell his company and put us down. Later I pulled the kids from my school aside and taught them all how to take great photos on manual mode of their high end P&S cameras, and I didn't have to insult them once.

I really think this guy saw me holding my Rebel, got that whole "Professional's worst nightmare that everyone and their mom has a DSLR now" vision and started to feel threatened that we would surpass him and not need him, so he started bashing real hard and claimed that you need only the best to get good results, when in reality, an entry level P&S is capable. If you look back at the story, he started to go on to say that the Rebel was good until I held mine up which sparked a long chain of negativity.

What an A**! I hope your schools aren't going to be using him for even your class photos anymore!

What an A**! I hope your schools aren't going to be using him for even your class photos anymore!
We don't use him, we use a company called Bryn Allen that I can vouch for as a good company. I won't say who this guy was a part of but if I knew someone was going to use him I'd advise against it.

Yikes. You would hope that with so many people trying to get into professional photography now, the competition would ensure that you need to at least be at least slightly competent or knowledgeable to succeed. Apparently not; it amazes me the kind of people who can get away with calling themselves professionals. I have graduation shots of a corpse with a vague resemblance to myself (bad lighting, bad exposure, no attempt at white balance) to testify to that. :grumpy:

No, he knew what he was talking about, he was telling us lies because he knows we're young enough to soak it in. Exploiting education for profits.

That really sucks. The best part is that you know he was a jacka$$ and could tell the other students afterwards what to actually do. It's probably good you didn't confront him openly, otherwise it could have turned nasty.

I have graduation shots of a corpse with a vague resemblance to myself (bad lighting, bad exposure, no attempt at white balance) to testify to that. :grumpy:

What low standards schools have nowadays that a dead person can graduate.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Schools can hire people to shoot the yearbook for the,?

I did not know that. All i know is that my school wouldn't let me do yearbook.

This just goes to prove that there are jerks at every level of every profession.
It is better to be thought of as a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

What low standards schools have nowadays that a dead person can graduate.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Oh it's worse than you think - it was university!

And since so many were either half asleep or hungover in most classes, I don't think they'd notice the difference anyway :mrgreen:

Schools can hire people to shoot the yearbook for the,?

I did not know that. All i know is that my school wouldn't let me do yearbook.

Well our school has a policy that only students do the photography
but the other 6 schools there have used his services before and most likely, and sadly, will again.

You'd think that a journalism teacher or a photography teacher (if you have one) would quickly correct him. However, like at my old highschool, the yearbook students and yearbook 'photographers' had never taken a photography class or know really anything... so how could they know better??

Sadly, certain parts of a school dont work together--even at universities the administration will look for private photographers or advertising agencies when there are plenty of people on-campus that could do it much better :confused:

I'm a bit more vocal than most. I would have weighed up the situation. Did I want a job at his company? Nah. <stands up points shouts> Stop talking through your a$$ to sell your service you sorry excuse for a photographer </stands up points shouts>.

Ok maybe not that bad, but I would have taken every chance I could to call him on every minor detail. We have a lecturer at uni who's slides constantly have errors in them. I pay to be there and get an education so does everyone else so I call him every chance I get. Once it ended in a long argument he insisted he was right, until he got to his next slide where I said well if that is the derivative of the above one of them must be wrong, after he worked it out on the board and fixed his slides I felt much better.

Sorry to sound like an ass myself but some people just need a reality check. I would have walked out on that little speech if I were in a position where I couldn't call him on it.

I'd have a hard time keeping my mouth shut too. I'd play dumb but ask questions that made him eithe rlie through his teeth and get caught or made him fess up. Like "Um, excuse me sir, but how come I can set my aperture to f2.8 on my worthless little point and shoot? And how come my lens I bought for my dslr says f1.8?" or "You said ISO is the most important setting. What's the best ISO to use all the time? Should I ever adjust it?"

Yeah, I held my tongue because I didn't want to appear like the only sour apple in the room. Who is everyon going to believe? The guy who is a professional making amazing 18 X 10 prints (I hate to admit but they looked really good, one reason I knew he knew he was lying) and has $10,000+ of equipment? Or a 17 year old kid with an entry level, it wasn't worth my time, I did however get confirmation from our school's photography teacher today so not only did I properly teach our school's kids, I have another educated opinion to back it up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back