New 2 the forum...

Monster2005

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
New to the forum and digital photography :pirate:

i got a FUJI FinePix S5100 (called 5500 on some countries).

Can i take decent pics with this cam? i Don't want professional pics, because im not a PRO.

btw, i took some pics for christmas and im really impressed with the ZOOM and the quality of pics. but as i said im not a PRO, and what looks great quality for me can look poor for other guys :(

Should i post my pics on the pics forum? :oops: :oops:

Greetings.
Alex.

Monster2005 said:
New to the forum and digital photography :pirate:

i got a FUJI FinePix S5100 (called 5500 on some countries).

Can i take decent pics with this cam? i Don't want professional pics, because im not a PRO.

What do you think? Do you find your pictures satisfactory? If so, it's a good camera for you! It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks about it. You are the judge!

Monster2005 said:
btw, i took some pics for christmas and im really impressed with the ZOOM and the quality of pics. but as i said im not a PRO, and what looks great quality for me can look poor for other guys :(

Good! If you are happy with the pictures they're good for you!

Monster2005 said:
Should i post my pics on the pics forum? :oops: :oops:

Greetings.
Alex.

That is up to you. Don't expect anyone to tell you what you want to hear/read though. There are plenty of good photographers in this forum (and I am not one of them!!!). It can be very useful to post them and ask for an opinion though, since you can improve your skills!

Merry X-mas!

Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum!! :D:D

I have to agree with Alex about if you're happy with the pictures, go with it. I mostly use a Kodak DX6490 for my shots and I think it's pretty much the same camera. I love the shots that it takes. As for posting your pictures, I would because it really helped me to get better at photography. That, again, is up to you.

Here's my 2c

You can take brilliant pictures with ANY camera. If you don't bleieve me, swap your cam with a pro and see who takes the best photos. IMO, the advantage of 'pro' cameras is that they give you a major edge in flexiblity. While you can take great pics with any camera, there are some photos that simply won't work on some cameras.

My opinion is not to worry about the camera. You can always change your cam if you decide it doesn't do everything you want. Improving your tecnique will always have a much greater impact on your photos then improving your equipment.

Do post your pics. You may not like the feedback (if your experience is anything like mine, you certainly won't like the feedback). Nevertheless you can learn so much from all the great photographers. I've only been seriously taking pictures for about 6 months. I have learnt SO much in that time. My photographs today are unrecognisable from those 6 months ago.

Watch, post, be inspired....

My photographs are unrecognizable at the best of times! :lol: :lol:

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about the format of the camera - we all know digital is inferior ;) *Jamie scarpers for cover after triggering off WWIII's digital:analogue boring debate*

It takes a lot of skill to use a digital camera well - I'm always in awe of users who can master it. Unfortunately most users tend to do so in Auto-everything Mode and then boggle when nothing turns out the way they hope. So they end up recording things, instead of creating images with the own expression.

"Can i take decent pics with this cam?"

Yup - but there is a learning curve...

" i Don't want professional pics, because im not a PRO."

Don't worry - it's not the camera that makes it professional. It's the marketing, and the role of the photographer.

"btw, i took some pics for christmas and im really impressed with the ZOOM and the quality of pics. but as i said im not a PRO, and what looks great quality for me can look poor for other guys Sad"

Do you think it's sad? I dunno. A lot of work which I like, no one else cares to look at. I lot of what I shoot, I don't care for, but my clients do. People who like pretty pictures don't always have great taste. Pretty pictures aren't always in good taste anyway. And anyway, what is taste in aesthetics?

"Should i post my pics on the pics forum? Embarassed Embarassed"

A lot of us don't look! If you do, I'm sure you'll get some helpful feedback. It's okay to learn and that's why people put their photos up. I don't because I'd get sued for p*ssing around on an amateur forum. Doesn't mean the forum ain't good - just that it's a lot harder to have 'fun' like an amateur once photography pays the bills. If you do post your work, I'd certainly try and leave a few objective comments.

Happy Christmas and Happy New Year too.

Jamie R said:
A lot of us don't look! If you do, I'm sure you'll get some helpful feedback. It's okay to learn and that's why people put their photos up. I don't because I'd get sued for p*ssing around on an amateur forum. Doesn't mean the forum ain't good - just that it's a lot harder to have 'fun' like an amateur once photography pays the bills. If you do post your work, I'd certainly try and leave a few objective comments.

condescending comments at best.

perhaps you would like to give all of the amateurs (3357 of us) here your sage advice as why you would be sued?

motcon said:
Jamie R said:

condescending comments at best.

perhaps you would like to give all of the amateurs (3357 of us) here your sage advice as why you would be sued?

3356 MC - I'm an ex-professional. And I'd really like to know his reasons too.

Welcome to the forums. I definitely know where you are coming from. I have a non-SLR digital camera (Canon S45). And sometimes it can be intimidating to post your work amongst people with better equipment and much more experience. Actually from what I've seen your camera has more advanced features than mine.

Just remember that a lot of people have been taking pictures and studying photography for years. Years. There is nothing wrong with being a beginner or just learning. There is a lot you can learn about composition, lighting, technique, etc. And as Triggerhappy said your pictures will get better with time spent here.

One thing I can say for sure. I looked at a lot of different photography forums and this is one of the most welcoming. If there is any place that someone new to photography can feel comfortable in the learning process this is it.

"condescending comments at best"

If you say so Motcon.

Happy Christmas ;)

PS. Uploading client material onto a public forum might be fine (for you), but it isn't with me nor my clients.

Jamie R said:
"condescending comments at best"

If you say so Motcon.

Happy Christmas ;)

PS. Uploading client material onto a public forum might be fine (for you), but it isn't with me nor my clients.

ALL the pictures you take are for clients? Wow! You must be busy. I'm surprised you have time to mess around here :wink:

"ALL the pictures you take are for clients? Wow! You must be busy. I'm surprised you have time to mess around here"

Why thanks! I'm surprised too. Lord knows how I do it.

Oh wait - it's Christmas. I'm not working today. Happy Christmas to you too ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back