New 350D Pictures - BIRDs and BEETLE

Blackswann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys, here are the first shots from my brand spanking new Canon EOS 350D/Digital Rebel XT. I really love this camera, have just upgraded from a Fujifilm S7000. Hope you like them

IMG_0339.jpg

Taken with a 75-300mm EF USM2 Lens

IMG_0364.jpg

Taken with a 75-300mm EF USM2 Lens

IMG_0418.jpg

Taken with a 18-55mm EF-S USM2 Lens

Thanks alot, don't have a macro lens though but don't really wanna spend £250 for one. Does anyone out the know any alternatives I could add to a 18-55mm lens with 58mm thread to accomplish much the same...

Very nice stuff! All of them are good, the second one is my fave. :D Good job.

Nice photos! I really like the second one. I've been thinking of getting the 75-300mm EF lens. These shots make me want to get it sooner.

Nice shots! However, I'm pretty sure the one at the back is a wasp :sexywink:

Have you tried using magnifying filters? Like you, I do not have a macro-dedicated lense, they are quite costly and you don't use them too often. However, I have a set of Hoya HMC magnifying filters - +1, +2, +4, each digit signifying increasing diopters.

I'm not "qualified" enough to comment on the rest from here onwards, but diopter, P = 1/f (focal length), f caculated in metre if I remember my high school physics correctly. So you're able to bring down the focal length by attaching your magnifying filters (increase P, decreased focal length), and as a result of this you get the effect of a macro lense, technically. HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure there are some sort of complications, otherwise Canon wouldn't sell macro-dedicated lense, wouldn't they? :lol: One thing I've heard of is internal reflection - be sure to get a coated filter if you can.

I don't know how they will work on a zoom lense - I have mine mounted on a 50mm f/1.8 lense (aperture control, who knows?). I'm pretty sure somebody else here can offer you better advice than me.

This is a pic using the filter, dramtically scaled down so as not to compete with your thread. My lense set is nearly identical with yours (I have a Rebel 300D). You might be able to replicate the same pic with the EF-S lense, but to get so much detail will probably means that you have to get in real close, and often you will end up filling your whole eyepiece with the subject and you can't get the sharp detail in your picture. And then there is barrel distortion. :lol:
rose3.jpg

Thank you all so much for your comments. Thanks also, amoki, I honestly didn't know about these filters... am definately going to get a set... think I saw some on eBay with a 58mm thread!

Oh, and I highly recommend the 75-300mm EF Lens it's amazing! If you can save up for it it may just be worth getting it with image stabilisation because the camera shake at max focal length is a bit harsh... or is that just me! The IS lens allows you to knock the Aperture down 2 stops to get the same effect as without... I may think about upgrading... eventually.

Does anyone know of any downsides to these filters amoki said about?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back