new 42mm screw mount lenses?

voodoo_child

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Are there any "Universal" 42mm screw mount lenses out there that are still being made?
I might be able to get my hands on a voigtlander bessaflex TM for a very good price but I cant find any new lenses on the market for that mount.
For now I only want a 50mm prime, any help appreciated!

New lenses exist. You can find them on the B&H site. Just search for M42.

But with all of the excellent used M42 lenses available, why insist on new?

I don't suppose you could get my hands on a TM for a very good price too? :lol:

As for new lenses, Cosina-Voigtländer make M42 lenses too, and their rangefinder lenses seem to be well regarded so I expect their SLR ones should be good too. But I agree with Torus, one of the great things about using an M42 system now is picking up all sorts of odd lenses in all sorts of places; some will be average, some poor, and in varying condition, but sometimes you get a really good one and it's all worth it.

Finally... a 50mm prime? In M42? So you want a 50mm prime lens in an M42 mount? Well you know what I'm going to say to that...

Is it a Zeiss? Is it a Nikon? No, it's SUPER-TAK!
superman%20s.jpg

Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50. Asahi Opt. Co. That is all I have to say. :thumbup:

I dont feel too secure when buying second hand stuff from the net (ebay) you really dont know the quality unless you can hold and inspect your product.
When buying new atleast youve got a warranty and can return to the shop if you dont like it.

The only lense that caught my attention at B&H is the zeiss 50mm but itss $600 :(

Are there any "Universal" 42mm screw mount lenses out there that are still being made?

Yes, Cosina make them under the Voigtlander name:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/voigtlander.htm#SLR

They don't list a 50mm, but there is a 40mm Ultron f2. I have their 35mm Ultron f1.7 on my Voigtlander rangefinder, and it is excellent.

Edit: according to Cameraquest, these SLR lenses are being phased out in favour of the Zeiss ZF/ZS range, which are made in the same Cosina factory. If Robert White or any other dealer still has them then they will be amongst the last available.

I've purchased several lenses through ebay. I do check the seller's reputation [rating %] and ask the seller questions if I have them. I also check for unusually high S&H charges. Thus far, I've been fully satisfied with every purchase.

There's zeiss glass made for nikon, which can be adapted to canon. lol

Tamron also makes their "adaptall" mount which is universal.

There are some bargains to be had on ebay, but there is also a lot of rubbish floating around on there, but as Torus says, make sure you trust the seller and ask all the relevant questions as they might list that the glass is perfect and the iris is snappy, but fail to mention the focussing takes a tap wrench to move (this can be a problem on the zebra style Zeiss Tessars and Pancolars in my experience)

So if it's not mentioned, ask the question - there are some real bargains to be had, but there are some dogs as well.

I have a really nice 50mm Tessar f2.8 if you're interested </spam> ;)

You're not wrong about the stiff focus. 'Communist Lens Wrist' is a genuine medical condition.

Most reactions

Back