New 645

Maxx640

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

I've just picked up a Mamiya 645 1000S with Sekor f/2.8 80mm lens, a lever wind, waistfinder and hand-grip release for 250$. I just fell in love with this camera (have to see how it shoots now), I know it's too late but was that a good deal? Forgot to add that it's in MINT condition.

I have a Nikon F3 and a 6x6 Sem (excellent french TLR), I've sold the second now because I wanted a more modulable large format camera.

Can you tell me more about the Mamiya: is it a good all-around camera (can I get rid of the F3?), is it better to buy the metered prism or a hand held meter, what options should I add to the cam? Did I make a mistake going for that instead of an ETRSi?

I do mostly landscape, street and portrait pictures. No wildlife etc... as for shooting surfing, I was thinking of getting a cheap M42 body and very cheap soviet tele-zoom (400mm maybe). Then I could sell the F3!

Well that's a lot of questions, hope I haven't bothered you too much.

Max

Max, IMHO, don't sell the F3. The Mamiya 645 is an excellent performer and the price you paid is also very good. Just start shooting with it and feel how it works, look at the results. If you like the feel and the results, keep it by all means.

As for the meter, get a hand held meter. Other options to the Mamiya would be two additional lenses, something along the 150mm for portraiture and something along the 50 or 60mm for wide angle shots. Add a few extra backs.

And there is no mistake in going with the Mamiya, you have done well!

Congrats on a good buy!

Good evening,
Thanks for the advice! Why do you reccomend not to sell the F3?

Max

F3 is a total work horse of a camera. I assume you're referring to a Nikon F3, right? They last and last and last a long time. Well made, solid mechanics and great optics. These are the reasons I would hang on to it. You will not regret keeping it. ;)

Congrats on the purchase. I shoot with the 1000S and, the more I use it, the more I love it. It's built like a tank and I've added several lenses.

Mine came with both the waist level VF as well as the metered prism. Although it adds some weight, I have come to use the prism VF mainly because it gives me the ability to shoot vertically - something I personally found too limiting with the WL. I've found the prism meter to actually be pretty reliable, though if it's a crucial shot I'm going to have that hand held meter close by. ;)

Enjoy this purchase - it should give you many, many years of shooting pleasure!

good to be in a place where some people still use MF, I had to leave my Bronica outfit behind in Australia but I'll probably bring it back with me when I go for a visit next year. Congrats on the purchase, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for the encouragements, and thanks for the manual. I'll print it immédiatly ;)

I really like the spirit of MF. One day I might go for the prism viewer, but I have to admit that I love looking down into the finder, it's a different philosophy of shooting.

You think you are in love with the spirit of MF?... wait till the negatives come back, you'll love it even more!

You'll be a MF junkie like the rest of us.

Enjoy!

You'll be a MF junkie like the rest of us.
So true! And it only gets worse....my husband came home with an old Pentax 6x7 that he got for a song, and it was love at first sight....:love: The fact that the prices are so stupidly low for the quality you're getting only adds to the joy! Once you get bitten by the MF bug, can LF be too far in the future? :lol:

So true! And it only gets worse....my husband came home with an old Pentax 6x7 that he got for a song, and it was love at first sight....:love: The fact that the prices are so stupidly low for the quality you're getting only adds to the joy! Once you get bitten by the MF bug, can LF be too far in the future? :lol:

No. The only thing that keeps me out of LF is the fact that I don't have an enlarger large enough for 4 X 5! :lmao:

Mine does. My wise husband wouldn't be bothered buying an enlarger that wouldn't go to 4x5. So clearly, I'm doomed. :lol:

I've already used the 4x5 neg carrier, but it was just on some copy negatives I happen to have. Still, it was a beautiful thing to see the enlargement possibilities - wow!

4x5 enalrgements???... heck get an 8x10 and do contact printing. OOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhh aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

I work for film!

Now wait a minute.... progress another step. Can't you make mural-sized enlargements from an 8X10 negative?

I'm just sayin'....

Once you get bitten by the MF bug, can LF be too far in the future? :lol:

As for that... I'm living proof. EOS -> Mamiya 645 1000s -> Toyo 45cx -> looking at 8X10s for landscapes. You wanna talk about doomed... :shock:

Most reactions

Back