New, and I have a simple question.

JenKate22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, brand new here! My name is Jenna and I'm just learning my new camera, Canon Digital Rebel XTI.

I'm also learning how to shoot in manual mode. So here's my question...

If it doesn't sound too stupid, could someone tell me what settings in manual mode would I set my camera to, to shoot indoors w/o a flash with basic lighting, (lamps and such) or general settings I could play around with?

I know its a dumb question, but I really have no clue! Thanks in Advance
Jenna

Welocme Jenna...first off, NO question is stupid!
Shooting in full manual mode indoors, your going to have to use your camera in auto mode to get an idea of exposure settings...take several reading around the shooting areas. Once you have that, PLAY! Its likely your going to need a tripod handy unless you have a whole lot of light comming through the windows. There is no specific settings but you can count on long exposure times due to any lack of light. Anyway, you will need to get an idea from your camera meter regarding your settings. Hope this helps and have fun!

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your new camera...it's a good one.

There is no way that we could tell you the settings to use...that depends on the light you have...and that's why camera's have light meters built in. If you are using manual mode...then you should adjust the aperture/shutter speed (and maybe the ISO) until the 'needle' is in the middle of the scale that you see in the viewfinder (or on the back). The meter is activated when you half-press the shutter release button.

Since you are new to your camera...why are you shooting in manual? It can be a great way to learn...that's true. But you kind of have to know how to use the meter and what the different settings will do.

I suggest using either Av (aperture priority) or Tv (shutter priority). That way you can set one variable and let the camera decide the other. This way you can change the settings and see how the other setting has to change accordingly. Once you have a handle on that...then put it into manual mode...and dial in the same settings that the other mode gave you...and then try changing them...and see what happens.

Good luck, have fun with it...and feel free to asks lots of questions...you don't sound stupid at all. :D

I agree with what Big Mike had said but just wanted to add that you shouldn't feel stupid at all asking questions. We all ask some newb questions from time to time and really that's what the entire purpose of the forum is... to learn.

So welcome and enjoy the XTi!!!

This is the camera I'm seriously considering right now.
How do you like it so far?

This is what I do when learning functions.
Get a tripod or set the camera on something sturdy.
And like everyone has said just play with it.
Start at a fairly quick speed and gradually change the shutter speed and see how each one turns out (the beauty of digital).

Have fun

Neea~ I really like the camera. I went to the store and played around with all of them for a bit. This one felt the best in my hands (make sense?) so this is the one I bought. I would suggest the same thing to you! Although the recommendations for this camera are beginner and advanced. Not pro, so if your a "pro" you might want to think about something different.

Anyways, Thanks for your kind responses. I pretty much figured this is the response I would get, but it was worth a shot.

Thanks again, And anymore suggestions to "learn" my new camera are greatly appreciated.

JenKate

Jenna, the nice thing about digital photography is that you get instant feedback on your shot in the camera's LCD screen. So it is easy to see if you have exposed things correctly or prevented camera shake or whatever the issue is. Then you can make adjustments if necessary. You can delete the bad shots. They cost you nothing.

You can follow Matt's link to get some basics. Then you can experiment and see your results instantly. Learning by doing is always the most effective way. Congratulations on the new camera.

mysteryscribe said:
...Oh yeah of all else fails read your manual and do each step it explains for a while....

What's this "read" word you use??? :lol:

The manual is a great place to learn the camera and definitely should be read through once or twice but I know I've found that there's too much info in there to realistically expect to remember. So I'd recommend reading through it once or twice, get the big picture and then put it somehwere where you can easily get to when you have questions.

I also know there are instructional DVD's out for a lot of cameras (the D50 has one though I haven't seen it). That might be worth checking out too so you can see what someone is doing. Some people learn better by watching.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back