new and just got my first camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by nate_mcnasty, Oct 6, 2008.

1. nate_mcnasty

nate_mcnasty No longer a newbie, moving up!

i just bought my first digital camera. it is a sony dsc-f828. is it any good? i got it for $300. i origanlly bought it for taking pics of my coral in my tank but now i want to use it for more and i don't know were to start/get to take great pics like many of you.

also i cant figure out how to make my coral look good under my actinic lighting. what settings should it be under?

thanks so much
    nate

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    well if your camera is bran new.. you should do some reading before you start saying "i cant make it look good" read understanding exposure.. we cannot tell you what settings to use, as we dont know what atmosphere you are in..

3. nate_mcnasty

the camera is used but it is in great condition. i'm trying to take macro shots of my coral it looks great under my 10,000k and actinic lighting but when it's under just the actinic it looks too bright and everything is blochy

4. nate_mcnasty

where are good placees to look on figuering out my camera?

5. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well the manual for one..

6. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Uh oh, Chris. Get ready. Last time I gave that, "Read the manual" line, I got blasted for it. LoL.

7. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well it is a silly line. Manual isn't going to explain what to look for as much as a dedicated book to photography will. All a manual can do is tell someone where to look, after seeing it in a photography book or online.

If you can find it in your local library - get Understanding Exposure. Start there.

8. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    Actual entry to mid-level SLR manuals tend to have info on depth of field and aperture, ISO, etc. ANDS. I can't comment on a "DSC" or other pointnshoot manual but it's actually quite a good resource. And I suppose that if you were dropping for a 1ds mkIII you'd already know how to operate it.

9. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    actually my cameras manual has very valuable info in it in regards to the manual functions, aperture and shutter speed...

obvisouly it doesnt have as much as a book whose main topic is aperture, but for a manual, it has a LOT of great stuff that got me started...

10. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Frankly manuals are all well and good but are rather dry and a bit perplexing for the total noob. I'm a bit dyslexic and impatient when it comes to manuals (you should see me trying to assemble a flat pack wardrobe). I learned more from trial and error and coming here than I ever gleamed from the manual and I'm by no means stupid.

As a starting point nate if you can post an image with the exif data intact or can at least tell us what the shutter speed, aperture and ISO are we might be able to point you in the general direction.

11. nate_mcnasty

actinic lighting is like black lighting where should i look in my manual? Taking pictures under black lights?

12. Sebastian 16

Sebastian 16 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    first off welcome to the forum. second most manuals tell you the cameras functions but not how to apply them. for specifics look for the book understanding exsposure it will help a lot more than your cameras manual.