new and would like critique

jeniferbwa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am by no means anywhere near professional. I use a Kodak C340 and I don't use any programs like photoshop. Maybe I need to get that? I really would like a full rundown on anything I could improve on, and don't worry about hurting my feelings.. I want to improve!
yes006.jpg

i like the picture but looks like it could use some cropping to get the kid a bit more in the ' center" of the shot, without using somthing like photoshop or another photo editing software to raise the contrast i dont know how else to get the child to stand out more.

Guess I do need to get photoshop then, should I crop off some of the background then? .. I do have the photo editing software that came with the camera but its nothing near photoshop.

Welcome to TPF! I just retired my Kodak C340 about a week ago in favor of a shiny new Nikon D50. :) I like the vertical crop alot better. I think the the hot pink floor draws too much attention in the original version. I would rather notice her sweet face and not what she is sitting on!

There are plenty of photo editing programs out there. If you just want to do very basic cropping and editing, you can download Adobe Photoshop Album for free from the Adobe website. It will not give you nearly as much control as Photoshop Elements or the full-blown version of Photoshop, but it is a start.

yes006_edited.jpg

This is the edit I did using Photoshop Album (my geriatric computer has a hard time running Photoshop Elements). I cropped it, then just did the Auto Color, Auto Contrast, and Sharpen.

IMO, the skin and shirt seems a little oversaturated. The bright areas at the side keep attracting the eye and letting attention 'leak' out the sides and the top of the head is clipped.

I would crop to a square, keeping in the block to balance the picture, and bring down the saturation a bit.
The picture is so bright on each side that I would do some extra stuff to bound the picture and keep the eye in the center. The stroke, in the same hues as shirt, makes the clipping of the head and hands seem more intended than by accident. Ditto frame.

More than I would ordinarily do outside the picture but maybe it fits for a child picture.
What do you think?

yes006vercxe5.jpg

Hi, Jennifer! I'm pretty new here too.

Your dd is very cute. I wish that I could see the top of her head and I wish I could see her sweet little face a bit better, more clearly I mean.

You might want to look into downloading the Gimp for free! I eventually want to switch to PS but for now, it is wonderful. It's worlds better than the editing software that came with my nikon!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back