New blank layer or duplicate layer?

Charliedelta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was getting a little confused about the difference between duplicating a layer and creating a new blank layer. When would you do one and when would you do the other one?

Some operations in Photoshop, such as filters require pixels to be in the layer to work. For example, the liquify filter. In order to liquify your image, the tool needs for there to be pixels on the layer for you to push around, otherwise you'd just be pushing empty space about.

But, say you want to paint a colour with the brush onto your image - it's always advised NOT to do that on your original background layer, because it's a destructive edit, so you create a blank layer over the top of the image itself and paint on that instead. A bit like laying a sheet of clear acetate over a printed image and drawing on that instead of ruining the original print. Then, if you want to remove that paint, you can just switch the layer off.

If you want some tips on layers, masking and general Photoshop - I highly recommend Phlearn.com .

Forkie covered it pretty good.

This is also covered in this months issue of KelbyOne's Photoshop User magazine, along with lots of other useful stuff.

thanks...

but here comes another question. Let's say I am retouching a portrait. on layer 1 (duplicate of the background) I clean all the blemishes. Then I duplicate it, and on layer 2 I soften the skin with a layer mask. Then I duplicate and on layer 3 I remove excessive hair. Now I realize that I forgot to soften a part of her cheek. so I go back to layer 2, click on the layer mask and with the brush, I add a couple of strokes. I see them in that layer (if I click on the eye on layer 3), but I once I reactivate the eye on layer 3, I don't see the area I just added.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Layer three covers the other layers and you only see the content of layer three. A mask on layer three would permit you to expose content on layer two below but by obscuring content on layer three.

Joe

thanks...

but here comes another question. Let's say I am retouching a portrait. on layer 1 (duplicate of the background) I clean all the blemishes. Then I duplicate it, and on layer 2 I soften the skin with a layer mask. Then I duplicate and on layer 3 I remove excessive hair. Now I realize that I forgot to soften a part of her cheek. so I go back to layer 2, click on the layer mask and with the brush, I add a couple of strokes. I see them in that layer (if I click on the eye on layer 3), but I once I reactivate the eye on layer 3, I don't see the area I just added.

What am I missing?
Masks are one way to deal with it, when you must, but here's something else to think about:

For those types of retouching, you'd be using heal, clone, stamp, paintbrush, etc., and those tools can all be used on blank, transparent layers above what you're retouching. That leaves the layer below intact so it's non-destructive, and it only affects the area you've retouched on the transparent layer.

So, if you heal out a pimple on a transparent layer above the whole image, that layer you use for healing blemishes only has the healed pimple on it, nothing else. Place a new transparent layer above it for removing hair, and only the place where the hair was removed will be affected. Everything else you see will still be what's on the layer far below, looking up through the transparent layers.

There's no need to work on a whole image, then duplicate it and work on the duplicate, then duplicate it again, etc, etc., etc.. It's wasteful in a lot of ways, not least of which is file size and strain on your processor, but as you're finding out, it also makes it more difficult to "go back in time" and re-edit what you're already worked on.

thanks...

What am I missing?

google frequency separation.

i do that and then a 50% gray layer set to overlay for dodging and burning.

thanks...

What am I missing?

google frequency separation.

i do that and then a 50% gray layer set to overlay for dodging and burning.
Could you post a video of you removing blemishes and hairs using FS with dodging and burning? That would be awesome.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back