New body or new lens....

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Deadeye008, May 14, 2007.

1. Deadeye008

Deadeye008 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I currently have a Rebel XT and a Canon 100-300 f4.6-5.6 USM that I use when I shoot sports. I am rounding up some money to purchase either a Canon 30d body or a Canon 70-200 F2.8. I can only afford one or the other right now, but plan on getting the other one when I have the money. I mainly want the 30d for the 5fps and the larger buffer. I would like some suggestions on which I should get first. Thanks.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is there anything besides the faster frame rate and bigger buffer, that you feel your XT is lacking? The 30D is certainly a better body in several ways...but it won't necessarily improve your shots. The F2.8 lens, on the other hand is not only a much higher quality lens...but the fast (big) aperture will allow you to get faster shutter speeds, which will most likely help when shooting sports...especially in lower light situations.

I vote lens.

3. Stretch Armstrong

Stretch Armstrong TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the 30d and love it, but I agree with BigMike. The lens seems more important especially that lens. Given the kind of work you are doing, the faster lens seems like a must.

Good luck on your decision.

4. miltphoto

miltphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm old school, its not the body its you and the glass. I have the rebel, a Friend has that lens it great.

5. Deadeye008

Deadeye008 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like my XT a lot. I just figured that with the 30d shooting 5fps I would be able to get more pictures during the action and thus up my chances of getting those "perfect timing" pictures. I guess I could get a 20d for a couple hundred less than the 30d and have the same 5fps. Is the 30d that much better than the 20d? I think the main differences are the larger LCD screen, and a bigger buffer, right? Dang, now I'm really confused...

6. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have an XT and I'd buy the lens rather than move up to a 30D if I were you.

20D and 30D have a few minute differences but not enough to justify the price IMO. I think it MIGHT be 7 AF vs 9 AF, screen size, buffer, spot metering, and a 2nd control wheel. I'm not 100% on ANY of those. I know it is a few of thsoe, just don't know which combination, because I know some of those are wrong too.

7. firemedic0135

firemedic0135 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here is another vote for the lens.5fps is nooo goood if you cant get a shutter speed fast enough to reach it.
    Not only that but the canon 70-200mm 2.8 is supposedly one of the best pieces of glass you can own.
    I dont know as mine is in transit to my house .
    another thing to think about is the price of the lens will not vary much but the 30d will continue to drop as newer models are realeased.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, 5 fps will help with timing...but so will practice. And perfect timing won't make for a great shot unless, as mentioned, you have a fast enough shutter speed to get it. Also, as mentioned, the 70-200 group of lenses are some of the best quality zoom lenses avaliable. You will be very impressed with the color and clarity of the images it can produce.

Getting a used 20D might be a good option. I've got 20D(s) and they are great. The 30D does have a bigger buffer, bigger screen and spot metering and maybe a few other things...but the bodies are practically the same.

9. Deadeye008

Deadeye008 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool. Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be getting the lens. Thanks for all the suggestions!