New body or new lens....

Deadeye008

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hamblinphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have a Rebel XT and a Canon 100-300 f4.6-5.6 USM that I use when I shoot sports. I am rounding up some money to purchase either a Canon 30d body or a Canon 70-200 F2.8. I can only afford one or the other right now, but plan on getting the other one when I have the money. I mainly want the 30d for the 5fps and the larger buffer. I would like some suggestions on which I should get first. Thanks.

Is there anything besides the faster frame rate and bigger buffer, that you feel your XT is lacking? The 30D is certainly a better body in several ways...but it won't necessarily improve your shots. The F2.8 lens, on the other hand is not only a much higher quality lens...but the fast (big) aperture will allow you to get faster shutter speeds, which will most likely help when shooting sports...especially in lower light situations.

I vote lens.

I have the 30d and love it, but I agree with BigMike. The lens seems more important especially that lens. Given the kind of work you are doing, the faster lens seems like a must.

Good luck on your decision.

I'm old school, its not the body its you and the glass. I have the rebel, a Friend has that lens it great.

Is there anything besides the faster frame rate and bigger buffer, that you feel your XT is lacking? The 30D is certainly a better body in several ways...but it won't necessarily improve your shots. The F2.8 lens, on the other hand is not only a much higher quality lens...but the fast (big) aperture will allow you to get faster shutter speeds, which will most likely help when shooting sports...especially in lower light situations.

I vote lens.

I like my XT a lot. I just figured that with the 30d shooting 5fps I would be able to get more pictures during the action and thus up my chances of getting those "perfect timing" pictures. I guess I could get a 20d for a couple hundred less than the 30d and have the same 5fps. Is the 30d that much better than the 20d? I think the main differences are the larger LCD screen, and a bigger buffer, right? Dang, now I'm really confused...

I have an XT and I'd buy the lens rather than move up to a 30D if I were you.

20D and 30D have a few minute differences but not enough to justify the price IMO. I think it MIGHT be 7 AF vs 9 AF, screen size, buffer, spot metering, and a 2nd control wheel. I'm not 100% on ANY of those. I know it is a few of thsoe, just don't know which combination, because I know some of those are wrong too.

Here is another vote for the lens.5fps is nooo goood if you cant get a shutter speed fast enough to reach it.
Not only that but the canon 70-200mm 2.8 is supposedly one of the best pieces of glass you can own.
I dont know as mine is in transit to my house .
another thing to think about is the price of the lens will not vary much but the 30d will continue to drop as newer models are realeased.

I like my XT a lot. I just figured that with the 30d shooting 5fps I would be able to get more pictures during the action and thus up my chances of getting those "perfect timing" pictures. I guess I could get a 20d for a couple hundred less than the 30d and have the same 5fps. Is the 30d that much better than the 20d? I think the main differences are the larger LCD screen, and a bigger buffer, right? Dang, now I'm really confused...
Yes, 5 fps will help with timing...but so will practice. And perfect timing won't make for a great shot unless, as mentioned, you have a fast enough shutter speed to get it. Also, as mentioned, the 70-200 group of lenses are some of the best quality zoom lenses avaliable. You will be very impressed with the color and clarity of the images it can produce.

Getting a used 20D might be a good option. I've got 20D(s) and they are great. The 30D does have a bigger buffer, bigger screen and spot metering and maybe a few other things...but the bodies are practically the same.

Cool. Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be getting the lens. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back