New Business Card, Give me your input

I like the design but there are some fonts I feel should be retired: Comic Sans, Papyrus, and Scriptina. I see so many people (photographers especially) use Scriptina and Papyrus, and it lacks originality and creativity.

As we say on the other forum I belong to, when someone uses Comic Sans (or Papyrus) God kills a kitten. Now WHO would want to kill a kitten?

Please delete comic sans and papyrus from your memory bank :)

If that is true, then James Cameron killed millions with the movie "Avatar".
Yeah, spend millions making a supposedly remarkable film (I've yet to see it) then use... Papyrus? Spend a little extra money and commission a font!

"Most logos I see are usually simply their name" while that might be true, that doesn't mean they are bad logos. If their logo is simply their name, the way the logo is done speaks of what they are, what they do etc. Flair is clutter in MHO as well as other designers. To add a piece of flair just for the sake of doing it, doesn't make a lot of sense design wise. I am not sure if you have taken any of my suggestions in actually looking at GOOD logo designs. Just because you find a logo on the internet or wherever, doesn't make it a good design piece.

This was my first logo. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. No flair, simple and to the point.

UntitledSD-23.png

"Most logos I see are usually simply their name" while that might be true, that doesn't mean they are bad logos. If their logo is simply their name, the way the logo is done speaks of what they are, what they do etc. Flair is clutter in MHO as well as other designers. To add a piece of flair just for the sake of doing it, doesn't make a lot of sense design wise. I am not sure if you have taken any of my suggestions in actually looking at GOOD logo designs. Just because you find a logo on the internet or wherever, doesn't make it a good design piece.

This was my first logo. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. No flair, simple and to the point.

UntitledSD-23.png

Well, it is simpler and bold, but it's skewed and stretched making it difficult to read. This doesn't really say anything about you, but it's at least legible at any size.

Just TRY this without questioning....

Take a similar font, san serif font, do not alter it, but use a BOLD or HEAVY version of it, just using your name. Then take the word "photography" and make it much smaller, maybe right aligned, and use the SAME font face but use a regular or light version. Also, keep it strictly black and white only. As I say in the courses I teach...if it works in black and white, it will work in color. If you jump right to color you never know if it will.

I will post a visual example...

See, I really like that example you posted. I'll use that as a visual example for sure. I like the second one a lot.

its not perfect by any means, but it's legible, easy to read, simple...and because it's lower case, it looks trendy and feels creative, even though it's really not. It says more about me than a funky squiggly line of "flair"

Plus, you only have 12 pieces of flair. 12 is the minimum amount of flair....

sorry, had to drop an office space line...

Would you mind sharing what font that is? So I noticed you said that the logo is about you. Are you Mark? Lol just curious

I would share the font...but i feel like I would be doing your work for you :) I'm a nice guy and all, but I wouldn't be doing you any favors by doing it for you. Get in there and look around at fonts, you might find one you like even more.

Yes, that's my real name, so it says a lot about me haha.

One last question and maybe we can put this drawn out thread to rest. When I type a word out on PS and I zoom in or change the color of the background, the edges of the letters seem to be jagged. Is this do the the raster program and would they look smooth if I used a vector program?

As long as you don't rasterize the text, it will be fine.

Because Photoshop is a pixel based program, it will always display everything with pixels. Photoshop has some vector tools (text, line etc.), but they won't be processed as vector until you print.

For proof, try printing from your Photoshop file to a PDF, open the PDF, and zoom into the text... The edges will stay crisp.

Keep in mind that once you convert the text to an image (it's easy to accidentally do this), all bets are off, and the above doesn't apply.

One last question and maybe we can put this drawn out thread to rest. When I type a word out on PS and I zoom in or change the color of the background, the edges of the letters seem to be jagged. Is this do the the raster program and would they look smooth if I used a vector program?

No no no no no never ever ever ever EVER use PS for text. It will never be a good thing. I would advise you to do all type work in Illustrator or vector program. Leave PS for backgrounds, textures and your post production.

No no no no no never ever ever ever EVER use PS for text. It will never be a good thing. I would advise you to do all type work in Illustrator or vector program. Leave PS for backgrounds, textures and your post production.

Im sorry but this is a terribly old fashion way of thinking.
I actually was on a graphic design forum last year when i was talking about designing a logo using photoshop.... the abuse i got was unreal, they all thought i was some kind of start up noob... little did they know who i was...

Let me explain... iv been a designer for over 14 years.
Yes i was taught to only use Illustrator for logos and text.
I know ALL the do's and don'ts about graphic design.
I was taught back when photoshop 3 was around, and i have followed software ever since.

However, (this is the but where most designers are in denial) software HAS changed.
Photoshop has been able to cope with vectors since, what.. the first CS?
You can easily upscale logos to any reasonable size, true i still wouldn't recommend it for some business types, especially if a large part of your advertising is going to be of the outdoor large scale type.
But for the majority of businesses this is never going to be an issue.
I have blown up photoshop designed logos for use in exhibitions and never had a problem with it.

I was part of a professional logo company for a few years... i still design logo's today as part of my income.
Some i only use Illustrator, other i use photoshop... true i know what im doing, but seriously, saying 'never use photoshop' is a typical saying that is picked up by designers... from each other... but there really isn't much truth to it anymore.

Most reactions

Back