New camera and going out to take some pics later today...

dry3210

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always had a camera since I was about 13 but until a few days ago it was always a point and shoot. I just got a Canon XT

I have been trying to read up on how to use it and just photography in general but I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what I'm doing still.

I have to babysit my nephews today and they always want to go to the creek to explore so I figure it'd be a good chance to play with the new camera but I'm looking for any advice or pointers to pay attention to while I'm playing. The pictures aren't as important to me as just getting use to the camera...so anything is appreciated.

The best way to get good is shoot, shoot, shoot and then, when you're done, shoot some more (reading and looking at other's photographs help too)! Have fun!

congrats on the camera, reading the manual was a good start, anything you dont understand, ask here, use the search option or google, and things wil become clearer.
have fun today

Nothing wrong (in my mind) with going from fully AUTO (with the mind focused on subject, composition etc at first) gradually over (step by step, and as you're reading the manual) to the more manual use of your new camera. Why try to do everything all at once?

So when you go out with your nephews, at first let the camera decide on the HOW of its taking your photos, and you decide on the WHAT, and on the HOW TO FRAME THAT BEST. Hm?

Excellent, thanks for the welcome and the input.

I will probably play with auto mostly. I read the manual and the tutorial that is online somewhere for canon's.

I figure my biggest concern will probably be the shadows since the creek is lined with trees.

And just to share, heres a pic of them (was taken months ago with a ponit and shoot)
1_13_12_07_7_10_53_17.JPG

also you may want to shoot in raw if it is goin to be dark or shady

also you may want to shoot in raw if it is goin to be dark or shady

It should still be quite light out. I'd like to go with RAW if I can figure out what settings to put stuff on.

for my first days with my d40 i shout in priority mode and only chose with or without flash. if you shoot in raw you can fix many of your mistakes once you edit them

for my first days with my d40 i shout in priority mode and only chose with or without flash. if you shoot in raw you can fix many of your mistakes once you edit them

Excellent, I will give this a try and see how it turns out! Appreciate the input

Wait, shutter priority or aperture priority?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back