New camera and pictures!

Cahlean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just got my new Nikon d300s today. Still working with it and learning it, here are a couple of shots from today, all straight from the camera with no post work. Comments and feedback welcome :)

DSC_0056.jpg

I'm thinking of making this one a black and white.

DSC_0032.jpg

And I take pictures of random things...

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

My sister's "birthday" (it's not for a couple of days yet)

Wish I had the cash to throw at a D300s at your stage. Hell, I wish I had the cash to throw at a D300s NOW... :er:

Read this:
Exposure Lessons, in order Stop Shooting Auto!

When you get done, read it again. When you get done with the second read through, read it AGAIN, only this time practice what it says so you can really see what all of it means in the real world.

Finally, after your third read through and practice, go out and HAVE FUN with your camera. Don't go anywhere without it.

Note: Those exposure lessons are only the beginning of what you need to know. Much of what you need to know will be learned first hand, the hard way. I don't have a favorite guide to composition, only a favorite guide to basic exposure.

Edit: Do you see these as 'good' photos? Looking back through your posts you aren't really new to owning a D-SLR... But these shots are far from amazing or groundbreaking. My exposure lessons link is just my general 'oh, another new shutterbug' response, but I think you should be better than 'just a new shutterbug'. Your exposure is actually pretty darn good, it's the subjects and compositions that are lacking.They're just generally uninteresting, and not much looks deliberate. What was your point in making this thread? Was it for C&C, or just to brag about your new camera? If the latter, congratulations and get out there to show us what its really made of!

Last edited:
No cat photos? No soda cans? Whaaaaa?

Enjoy-joy-joy-joy the heck out of your new camera! And welcome to TPF. Keep studying and learning. Have fun.

I was more about bragging about getting a new camera than showing off the pictures. I wasn't super happy with the ones I got, but the were the prospective "better" pictures I managed to take today. Lots of learning I still need to do. :)

No cat photos? No soda cans? Whaaaaa?

Enjoy-joy-joy-joy the heck out of your new camera! And welcome to TPF. Keep studying and learning. Have fun.

Um... I actually did take cat pictures :D, but no soda cans, they aren't as interesting of a subject as they look lol

Wish I had the cash to throw at a D300s at your stage. Hell, I wish I had the cash to throw at a D300s NOW... :er:

Read this:
Exposure Lessons, in order Stop Shooting Auto!

When you get done, read it again. When you get done with the second read through, read it AGAIN, only this time practice what it says so you can really see what all of it means in the real world.

Finally, after your third read through and practice, go out and HAVE FUN with your camera. Don't go anywhere without it.

Note: Those exposure lessons are only the beginning of what you need to know. Much of what you need to know will be learned first hand, the hard way. I don't have a favorite guide to composition, only a favorite guide to basic exposure.

Edit: Do you see these as 'good' photos? Looking back through your posts you aren't really new to owning a D-SLR... But these shots are far from amazing or groundbreaking. My exposure lessons link is just my general 'oh, another new shutterbug' response, but I think you should be better than 'just a new shutterbug'. Your exposure is actually pretty darn good, it's the subjects and compositions that are lacking.They're just generally uninteresting, and not much looks deliberate. What was your point in making this thread? Was it for C&C, or just to brag about your new camera? If the latter, congratulations and get out there to show us what its really made of!

You're exposure lessons will come in handy, but I haven't shot on auto since January. Traded out auto action mode to AV (shooting with my Canon Rebel), and had a knack for leaving my f stop wide open. I'm starting to learn to check my settings, try different f stops for different results, and remember to switch them for each picture - I tend to take everything from macro style shots to landscapes consecutively so my landscapes end up with a f5.6 and my macros an f9 if I don't check them. ISO is going to be a little different with the d300s vs my Rebel, esp since my Rebel goes up to 1600 ISO, and it gets a bit noisy. Tend to shoot around 200-400 ISO on my Rebel.

But I've got tons of room to grow and learn, so any other help is greatly appreciated :)

I like your spunky attitude Cahlean!

Good luck w/ the new camera!!!! So exciting!!! :hug::
Here is something for you to look at to get you started.....
10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Amateur Snapper

Just some lite reading on what makes a picture look nice. It will give you something to work on...=) Learn the rules and then break them as much as you want!!! Good luck!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back