New camera help

tiny breath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've decided to finally bite the bullet and get a dslr. I was thinking of getting the Olympus e620 or the Rebel XSi but in the end I've pretty much just completely confused myself.

I'm mainly looking to shoot landscape as well as low light photos. Does anyone have any recommendations in regards to good starting camera/lenses for these kinds of shots? In terms of price, I really don't want to have to go over $700.

As much as I'd love to run out and get a camera right now, I don't want to rush the decision without some guidance/research.

I'm sure you guys get these kinds of posts all the time so I'm sorry if I frustrate anyone:blushing:.

If you are going to get a DSLR, stick with Canon or Nikon unless you have a really good reason to go with something else.
If you want to shoot in low light in your budget, it's going to be more about the lens than the camera. Look at a 50mm f1.8 lens to start with - they are typically the best inexpensive option. Nikon also offers a 35mm f1.8 for relatively inexpensive and this might be a better focal length considering the crop factor of cameras in your price range. If you end up looking at Nikon, consider the D3000 or D5000.

I totally agree with Philly and Bus Rider, stick with Canon or Nikon - the mainstream camera companies - trust me, in the long run you will save money, have more choices, and end up with a better camera system. The Nikon D5000 with a 18-55mm or Canon T1i with 18-55mm are excellent starter cameras. Their sensors are also larger than the Olympus 4/3 system and offer better low light performance.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615725-REG/Nikon_25454_D5000_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

The Canon T1i seems to be a better value:

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IKRB.html?searchinfo=canon+t1i <----- my pick

Last edited:
I see the Canon tl1 having issues down to road.

Thank you guys so much for your responses so far =).

Would you guys recommend buying the body only instead of body+kit lens and then spending the extra money towards lenses better suited to my needs or do you think it'd be a good investment to pay the extra for a kit lens as well?

Typically I would say skip the kit lens and invest in what you really want. The only exception to that (as far as Nikons go) would be the 18-55mm kit lens. It's cheap, light, small and fantastic. It's a great general purpose lens that can supplement a fast lens like the 35mm f2 or the 50mm f1.4 and give you more flexibility.

If you go with another brand, you'll have to rely on somebody else's experience because I'm a Nikon owner.

Most reactions

Back