New Camera, New Lenses, New Bill.

(Would recommend second-hand B+W, Heliopan, Tiffen or Hoya; all in excellent condition, "like new", hardly used.)

Would you recommend a uv filter for protection.

You need a 50mm f1.4 in your life :D

I have one but its DX
Are you sure ?
From what I know Nikon has four AF 50mm lenses 1.8D, 1.8G, 1.4D, 1.4G and all are FX lenses.
Nikon has very few DX primes like the 35mm, 40mm, 85mm and maybe I missed one more but I think that's it.

No I meant the lense I have is a 30mm sigma DC HSM. The DC stands for cropped does it not
Oh got it, I thought you meant you have a 50mm DX lens.

As for UV filter, there is no optical need for it, using one as protection is an individual decision.
I always said I rather get best out of my shot then worry about a little scratch on my lens, then I bought good lenses and since then all my lenses are proudly wearing UV filters for protection, I dont see any noticable IQ loss, for me its worth it for my piece of mind.

Congrats! What an excellent rig.

You need a 50mm f1.4 in your life :D

I have one but its DX
Are you sure ?
From what I know Nikon has four AF 50mm lenses 1.8D, 1.8G, 1.4D, 1.4G and all are FX lenses.
Nikon has very few DX primes like the 35mm, 40mm, 85mm and maybe I missed one more but I think that's it.

No I meant the lense I have is a 30mm sigma DC HSM. The DC stands for cropped does it not
Oh got it, I thought you meant you have a 50mm DX lens.

As for UV filter, there is no optical need for it, using one as protection is an individual decision.
I always said I rather get best out of my shot then worry about a little scratch on my lens, then I bought good lenses and since then all my lenses are proudly wearing UV filters for protection, I dont see any noticable IQ loss, for me its worth it for my piece of mind.

Are they a brand, the thing tried to sell me two polaried brand uvs for 30 each, which in my mind meant sh1t in front of my €1000 lens

Last edited:
I didnt bother to buy expensive UV filter, I wouldnt dream on spending 30$ on one, I got mine of eBay for around 8$ each

Would you recommend a uv filter for protection.

Rather than use a lens cap :) I might. I am thinking about a haze filter or one similar for use with a long lens - to reduce the blueness I'm seeing sometimes in the distant details.

With filters I do think it's worth getting what you need in the biggest size you will probably use (72mm for me) and using step up rings. I have some problems with putting filters that spin (polarizers/grads) onto step rings - easy to become stuck together. I use these loosely threaded together. Thom Hogan offers a good tip on one of his web pages: carry a stack of filters in your coat pocket threaded together, and protected with end caps (I use a junk Skylight 1A as the rear cap for this).

Most reactions

Back