New camera, please help

magotka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everybody.
I'm new here and I'm looking for some help and advice with buying my first camera. I'm a beginner if it comes to shutting pictures I have only shut on auto settings on Nikon d60 a long time ago. I would like something that will last a few years.
I was reading a lot recently and the more I read the more confused I am.

I was thinking about:
D3400
D5300
D7100

I would like to get two lenses.
I'm interested in:
Landscapes, portraits, indoor photos, city, children

I was thinking about:
Nikkor:
*35mm 1.8 prime
*18-140 f/3.5-5.6 VR DX

Would someone be able to help with a decision?
Maybe some literature or videos for dummies?

I would appreciate any help. Thank You.

I'm biased because I don't like the little D3000 series of cameras. Doesn't mean they're not good though. It's just me.
Personally I would go with the D7000 series for the AF motor, ability to include a battery grip, etc... Better built cameras.
And the AF motor opens the doors to less costly AF glass, when needed, if on a budget.

Look hard at the D7200. They're discounted now and will probably drop a bit more once the D7500 hits the stores. It's a hugely capable camera that's hard to beat for value. As mentioned above, it handles all Nikon's AF lenses, as well as many earlier manual focus lenses with metering. A near-perfect all-round DSLR and arguably one of Nikon's best for the $$$.

Thank You for your response. I appreciate it.
What about the lenses?
Any help?
I'm interested in around the house pictures, children, landscapes maybe portraits.

Was thinking about:
Nikkor 18-140 f/3.5-5.6 vr dx
35mm f/1.8 prime

Are these good choices for what I'm planning on using them for?

Also, along the lines of the D7000 series. Trust me, you'll love any of them! If you can't swing the D7200, then consider the D7100.
Same with the D7000 (still viable). 35mm 1.8G is awesome. And for less than $100.00, the Nikon AF 50mm 1.8D rocks. Just bought one for $73.00 myself.
And that lens requires an AF motor to auto focus. If you go D7000, D7100, D7200, you'll have that motor. Boom!

Shadowlands,
Thank You for all the help!
If You would have to choose one more lens considering what I want to use it for. what would it be?

Shadowlands,
Thank You for all the help!
If You would have to choose one more lens considering what I want to use it for. what would it be?

I think you nailed it with your original post... something like a 18-140. So you have "everything" covered with that.
But when you need more artistic or creative images, you could then switch to a fast prime, etc... and the primes for low light, as well.
Back when I had my D90, I had the 18-200 VR. Loved it. Great lens, for what it was "jack of all trades".

The 18-140 is fine. You could save a nice bit and get a used 18-105, the difference between 105 and 140 isn't that much, the 18-140 is better built but the 18-105 is fine if not abused.

A 50mm lens will probably be better than a 35 for portraits, I'd go with the 50 f1.8. if you can stretch budget to d7200 I'd say you'd be happy with your choice

For me the lack of a top LCD and a second Command wheel alone on the D3x00 & D5x00 series disqualifies them from consideration.
Add to that the better AF module in the D7100 and the the D7100 then would become my choice.

Focal lengths longer than 50 mm are better for portraits, for a number of reasons.
The focal length I used most for portraits was 200 mm.

Last edited:
D7100 is my standard tip for newbies.

So sad to see how Nikon has killed of that class of cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back