New camera shoots crooked photos

WideAperture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought a Nikon D750. For some reason when I take a photo (mainly in landscape) the photos are crooked leaning to the side. I have to adjust them in post. I've been shooting for 8 years and I've NEVER had this issue. Is this something that can be corrected within the camera? Thanks!

Yes. Use the viewfinders' grid option.

If you think about it, the cameras sensor would have to be tilted inside the body. Or the body tilted to it's internal frame. Highly unlikely ???

use the grip option mentioned above to assist in making sure images are level.

My digital cameras have a built-in level which ensures my pictures are as straight as can be. Without using the built-in levels, all my pictures are as crooked as a nine bob note.

I recently bought a Nikon D750. For some reason when I take a photo (mainly in landscape) the photos are crooked leaning to the side. I have to adjust them in post. I've been shooting for 8 years and I've NEVER had this issue. Is this something that can be corrected within the camera? Thanks!
I, for one, would like to see an example of a tilted photograph. And if you could, please post one from your previous camera as well. Thanks in advance.

Is your new D750 under factory warranty?

What camera were you using before?
Is the D750 + lens significantly heavier than your prior camera?
Are you hand holding or shooting off a tripod?

There are actually several/many reason that the image will be tilted.
  • Some people press/shove the shutter release button hard, moving the right side of the camera down.
  • Some people do not level the camera before they shoot.
    • I turn on the grid in my viewfinder to help me level the scene, because I know I have this problem. I used a P screen in my F2, way back then, for the same reason, to help me level the image in the camera.
  • Your eyes.
    • If you shoot observing with your left eye, and aiming with your right. The 2 eyes go out of sync with each other. When that happens, one or both eyes can rotate slightly, so if you observe with your left, then lift and shoot, the camera is likely to be aligned with your left eye, which may be not level.
    • To test this. Cover one eye, then look at a horizontal line. Then switch and cover the other eye, then look at the same line. Did the angle of the line change? If so, you have this condition.
    • If you have an out of sync eye condition, you need to be more aware of the image in the viewfinder (right eye) to make sure that it is level.

Last edited:
Prop up one corner of your computer monitor. :801:

This is the real-world, pro advice I come here for!

Thanks guys! I'll def try this. I appreciate it.

Possible muscle memory issue?
If you've been shooting for 8 years with the same camera, you got used to EXACTLY where your hand is in relation to your body when shooting. (For instance your index finger being 1/4 inch higher than your eye. Numbers made up but used for explanation.) You don't think about it each time, you simply bring the camera to your eye.
After doing this for 8 years, your hand naturally goes to that spot.

Now imagine your new camera is bigger and bulkier and, when level, your finger should be 1/2 inch higher than your eye. You could be, by force of habit, putting your hand at same height which would pull down one side thus causing your photos to be tilted?

Just out of curiosity have you tried shooting from a tripod? If you level and shoot but the image still comes out off, then then it would be safe to say it's a camera issue, but if not then as others have posted it's a holding issue.

Get lifts for whichever of your legs is shorter. :allteeth:

On a more serious note... whenever there's a question that an issue is equipment vs. user... just do a test set up to remove any possibility of user error.

Suppose you put your camera on a tripod and pointed at a brick wall. Make sure the wall is parallel to the camera sensor (don't shoot the wall at an angle) and also make sure the camera is perfectly level both front to back and side to side. Use a spirit level if it helps. Look through the viewfinder and you should be able to tell that the rows of bricks are actually level.

Take a few test shots, import them to the computer... and validate that they are still level.

If, when doing your carefully controlled test, the shots are level... then it's you. If they are not level and still require adjustment, then it's the camera.

I'm not sure how you can easily confirm it is the camera and not operator. Maybe set up some yard sticks or something and turn the grid on. Confirm your marks are level and then line your grid up with them. Just trying to think of someway to confirm it's a camera issue.

I'm not sure how you can easily confirm it is the camera and not operator. Maybe set up some yard sticks or something and turn the grid on. Confirm your marks are level and then line your grid up with them. Just trying to think of someway to confirm it's a camera issue.

Setup on on tripod, and shoot a grid (like a brick wall), remote release or timer to make sure that the act of pressing the shutter is not tilting the camera. If it comes out level, then it is operator issue.

Most reactions

Back