New Camera!!!

lol you seem fairly undecided about your lenses and bodies :D But hopefully you'll stick with what you have now.

I agree with Iron Flatline though, Prime lenses are grand... i love my 50mm 1.8, and im looking into the 85 1.4 + the 20 1.8.

I returned that junk of a lens today...you guys were right, it sucked! I got a 70-200 f2.8 VR! This lens is awesome! I also bought a 50mm 1.8 just for portrait stuff. I plan to get a 27-70 f2.8 in a few months.

Sorry, I have to out and out disagree. I now own BOTH the 18-200 and the 70-200... and I will still use the 18-200 a lot more than the 70-200, though it is an AWESOME lens.

As a walkaround lens, the 70-200 will tire you out in about 50 hand held pictures. You'd had better have a monopod or tripod everytime you use that lens... or start doing some serious workouts... lol.

I love my 70-200 and would not sell it for double what I paid... but my 18-200 stays in my collection as the ultimate walk-around lens.

Even Sabbath showed some excellent examples where the 70-200 and 18-200 were virutally indistinguishable at around 150mm.

Its not as bad a lens as JIP would like us to think it is (his distaste of this lens is near legndary here... lol).

There is no other lens out there on the market that gives you the versatility and acceptable quality of the 18-200 Nikkor.

Okay, maybe I should be a little clearer. At 200mm the lens produced 1 good solid image out of lets say about 12. That's not very good, in my opinion...where my 70-200 produced about 95% usable images today at the zoo at 200mm.

Now, the 18-200 may be a fantastic lens at 150 and less but for what I paid, I would rather have the 70-200 and get some smaller primes, like I did and maybe eventually get the 24-70 f2.8.

Just so everyone knows, I got a prime, a 50mm 1.8 and I haven't used it but once but I do like it.

Okay, maybe I should be a little clearer. At 200mm the lens produced 1 good solid image out of lets say about 12. That's not very good, in my opinion...where my 70-200 produced about 95% usable images today at the zoo at 200mm.

Please let us know what you think of the lens after walking around with it for 10 hours. ;)

I am not saying the 18-200 is superior to he 70-200... I am saying it is a better lens to have hanging from your neck all day and its DEFINATELY a better lens to have anytime you are taking pics at distances under 20 feet from your subject. The 70-200 is near useless indoors... unless you own a real big house, or want to shoot portraits of noses... lol.

Well lets see, I took 184 images today that I kept on the camera so lets say a solid 225 total. I walked around from 11:30am til 4pm today and didn't use a monopod or tripod once! I also had my backpack that contained my flash, tripod, monopod, prime lens, cards, manuals so on...

The 70-200 is near useless indoors... unless you own a real big house, or want to shoot portraits of noses... lol.

I will give you that!!!:hail: That is why I plan to eventually get a 24-70 f2.8.

lol... you're a bunch of maesturbators :mrgreen: (C) Ken Rockwell :mrgreen:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

I will never ever get anything less then 18-200 for walking around. I prefer a good shot on my camera rather then a great shot which i missed.

lol... you're a bunch of maesturbators :mrgreen: (C) Ken Rockwell :mrgreen:

I will never ever get anything less then 18-200 for walking around. I prefer a good shot on my camera rather then a great shot which i missed.

You are okay with mediocracy and I am not. Not that there is anything wrong with a good photo and yes, it is better than missing. I just toss so many images that I would consider good, that my wifes thinks are great because I want perfection. I am nowhere near good enough to consider myself anything better than below average but I can dream big and shoot for it!

I think just about everyone on here knows who Ken Rockwell is...lol

I was more or less kidding above.

Val... it is obvious that your requirements and wants are different from others. No need to press on.... I personally would give up that super zoom for a bag full of primes but I also understand that most people do find zooms too flexible and convenient. I'm not about to shove primes down peoples' throats.

Recognize that we are different with different wants, accept it and move on. What you are doing is generalizing your needs to everyone else...

Val... it is obvious that your requirements and wants are different from others. No need to press on.... I personally would give up that super zoom for a bag full of primes but I also understand that most people do find zooms too flexible and convenient. I'm not about to shove primes down peoples' throats.

Recognize that we are different with different wants, accept it and move on. What you are doing is generalizing your needs to everyone else...

Actually i just expressed my opinion. Then argumented it a little. You post sort of implies that its a good thing. So i dont see the point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back