New Camera

Axel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, it's not new, but very little used; all in all about one week!

It's a Nikon N50 with a Sigma 35-80mm, F4-5.6 DL-II

We got it all for $150 and we found it cheap and an ok buy since we pretty much are beginners.

What I wonder is about the aperture ring. It's almost impossible to see since it is covered by the little flash thing that peeks out from the top of the body. How will I be able to see the exposure? Can I take completely manual pictures with it, or do I have to use one or more automated features all the time?

Also, what is your opinion of the camera? Is it a good camera? A realiable camera?

Let me know please.

Thank you

OK, since I'm fairly new to photography (haven't shot anythihg for years but did it a lot way back when so I have my needs...) I wonder if the high end films are worth it if I wasn tot put the pictures on a CD AND on paper. I am thinking of the Kodachrome and that class of films. Or shoud I go with cheaper stuff? As indicated above, I have an N50 Nikon which isn't a big deal, but definitely seems to be enough for my needs for now!

Thanks you

Axel said:
What I wonder is about the aperture ring. It's almost impossible to see since it is covered by the little flash thing that peeks out from the top of the body. How will I be able to see the exposure?

Many of the fancy smancy new (1995 on) AF 35mm SLRs want you to set the aperture ring on "A", and manually control via buttons on the body. You should be able to see what aperture you are setting in the viewfinder or on the LCD screen on the body if you have one.

The N-50 should be fine for starting out. Plastic, consumer, electronic cameras tend to wear out a lot faster than the old, reliable, mechanical cameras, but hopefully by then you'll be ready for an upgrade. I'm not real familiar with the N-50, but knowing entry level Nikons I imagine it's missing manual ISO control, and possibly a cable release socket. Not the end of the world, just annoying since these are small features that every camera should have.

Don't shoot Kodachrome if you want your slides back in under 2 weeks. I'd check out consumer films, and see if they work for you. You'll find that they do a wonderful job. Pick a film, and stick with it for a while to get to know it. Then you can compare if you decide to get another kind or pro film or whatever.

Thank you ksmattfish,

I think you're right about the fact that the camera wants me to set the aterture on the LCD screen! The thing is that it doesn't have an A but instead it says 22 with red numbers.

Regarding developing, is it better to send it to a lab thru mail or to just hand it in to my local drugstore and let them do it? I mean will I notice a difference in the picture quality? I am thinking of gettin them on a CD though and from there choose which I want on paper. I want to be able to share the pictures with friends and family. It may be a little more expensive, but I guess photography is a rather expensive hobby... Unless somebody has an alternative to suggest of course! :)

Most reactions

Back