New camera

andrehj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need a new camera.
I don't know much about cameras.
I want a camera i take nature pictures, landscape and I'm planning on taking some wedding pictures.
I've been taking pictures on and of with a Nikon D70 for a while but I'm ready for something new.

So, it's time to read up more about the cameras as well as lenses. Go to the camera and lens review sites, you should be able to find more information.

Site like dpreview.com

Once you determine your budget, then focus on the camera in your price range. Be sure allocate part of your budget for the lens as well as some other accessories.

I would add that once you have narrowed it down, go to a store and play around with your choices to see how they feel. Check the menus, control wheel(s), etc. For goodness sake don't get bogged down in the Canon vs. Nikon vs. Sony vs. Olympus, etc. menutiae.

I'm getting the vibe you may wish to have two lenses. Nature as in wildlife? You're going to really want a telephoto. As for landscapes, those demand something wide(ish). :-/

You have come to the right because there are loads of people on here that know nothing about cameras that want to shoot weddings :lol:

Should probably mention that you're stepping into hot water mentioning weddings. Wedding photography is...well...oh nevermind. Pro tip: don't jump into something and bite off more than you can chew. If you can't talk exposure with the same ease that you breathe, something as fast-paced as wedding photography is a very dicey proposition. (I'm being rather diplomatic in my choice of words here.)

You have come to the right because there are loads of people on here that know nothing about cameras that want to shoot weddings :lol:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Really why would you need to know about cameras??.

I take really good pictures, i just don't know anything about cameras.
I just need a new one, and if its possible to optimize my pictures.
I've been using the same camera for the last year.

Camera technology change every year. hum .. maybe even every few months.

An old camera can still take great shots provided that it is paired with a decent lens.

For example, take a look at the links below.

Juza Nature Photography

Notice the cameras that capture the photos? Canon EOS XT/350D(2005) or EOS 20D (2004) Both are 4 to 5 years old camera technology.

I will say those great images are the result of the of a good photographer, good lens and a camera to capture what the photographer want and what the lens can resolve.

I take really good pictures, i just don't know anything about cameras.
I just need a new one, and if its possible to optimize my pictures.
I've been using the same camera for the last year.

You don't need a new camera; you need to learn how to use your current camera. I'm guessing you are using it on only the Auto modes. You need to learn about the basics of photography and how to use the "real" modes (P, S, A, and M) of a DSLR. Your current camera is just fine for learning those things. Once you know about cameras and are shooting good photos, then you can think about investing in a better camera.

I'm not sure what you mean by optimizing your pictures?

If you want to photograph your friends' weddings as a guest, go ahead (but remember not to get in the way of the professional photographer, including not shooting over his shoulder). If you want to shoot weddings as a part- or full-time career, you have a whole lot of learning ahead of you before you can be a second shooter. Then, eventually, you might be able to be a wedding photographer (depending on your skills, knowledge, ability to work under pressure, etc.). Remember that wedding photographers aren't allowed to have bad days/shoots that don't go well; you can't recreate the first big day in a couple's life like you can a portrait session.

You might already take some decent photos, but we don't know 'cause we haven't seen them. But lots of ppl think they take great photos until they learn better the more education about cameras and photography they get. So, humble yourself, take the time to learn, and then re-evaluate your photos as you gain skill and knowledge.

Most reactions

Back