New Canon 18-55mm IS better then Xt kit lens?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by caspertodd, May 9, 2008.

1. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Searched all over this forum and found a couple posts that said that they read that the new 18-55mm IS lens that comes with the XSi is better than the 18-55mm that comes as the Xt kit lens. Ok, so I have the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my Xt, is it worth spending $200 to get the newer lens with IS, or should I just use what I have?

I am just wanting a basic walkaround lens. I am buying the 50mm f/1.8 as well, but plan on just using that for portraits mainly.

2. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you could use IS then it might be worth it, but otherwise I doubt it's any better than the non IS versions in normal use.

I just picked up an unwanted Nikon 18-55VR out of a D60 kit for $135 brand new never mounted and compared it to my 10x more expensive 17-55 f/2.8 pro lens and found that the VR is good enough that it makes up for its lack of speed and is equivalent for night time walkaround photography here

3. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If IS is really the only benefit, I'm not sure if it is worth it to me. I can't imagine that IS would make that much of a difference on this focal length.

4. SanctuS

SanctuS TPF Noob!

I don't think it would make a difference as long as you'd keep your shutter speed above 1/90 at maximum focal length.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's true...but with a lens that is F3.5-5.6, it's easier said than done.

If the 18-55mm IS lens is only $200...I think that's probably a good deal.

6. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon claims two stops, and I think Canon's is the same. I tested it out and it seems to be true. I can pull off 1 second handheld exposures with my 18-55VR at the 18mm end which is much better than the non-VR. At the 55mm end I can do about 1/4 or 1/5s vs maybe 1/15s or 1/20s at absolute best on the non-VR version. That's not a 50/50 sharp/blurred ratio either. I think I had to take 5 shots to get a sharp one at 1s on the VR lens. It's good enough that for available light walkaround photography I don't need to tote my massive 17-55/2.8 around anymore. Now if only Nikon's 17-55/2.8 had VR too. :grumpy:

7. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I just found this where a guy posted two pictures. One taken with the kit lens, and one taken with the newer 18-55mm IS lens. He had this on a tripod, so IS was basically not used (unless his tripod sucks), and there is still a pretty good difference. It looks to me they put better glass in the new lens. I think I'm sold on it. Anyone want to buy my older kit lens ;) ?

Here's the link:

http://2stepsteve.smugmug.com/gallery/3978111#231235761

8. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    He said that he thought he might have had a bad copy of the non-IS, so you never know. Looks like his non-IS might have had a focus issue. Just because he focused on the same point doesn't mean it would focus the same. I wonder if he tried manually focusing to get better results?

9. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  10. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  11. asfixiate

asfixiate TPF Noob!

Both have same range, both have plastic mounts. Why not avoid all together and get xt vs xsi with a different lense?

Don't get me wrong the 18-55mm is useful lense but I find it turtle slow without tripod or flash in low light.

my $90.00 50mm lense gets used the most in all purposes. That and my 75-300. a good flash and photoshop help a lot with budgets.

Getting an 85mm f/1.8.

12. plentygood

plentygood TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit