New canon ef 85mm f/1.8 usm

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by rodddy, Oct 20, 2007.

1. rodddy

rodddy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Any one have this lens, and what is your opinion. So far I've been shooting with my rebel and the lens it came with. I'm hoping this lens will help me take better portraits.

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    One of the best bang for buck lenses in the Canon line. Good build quality and wonderful optics. Learn the lens.. it is a good portrait lens.

3. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you were on a full frame sensor camera, I would agree. However, this will effectively be a 136mm lens, which to my mind is rather long for portraits. I would suggest that to get anything other than a headshot, you'll be detaching yourself rather from your sitter. If you intend to carry on with the crop-sensor Rebel, might I suggest either a 50mm (1.8 or 1.4) or even do what I do and use the Canon 60mm macro f2.8, which I find does an admirable job alongside its normal close up duties.

4. rodddy

rodddy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, truthfully full frame cameras weren't even in my vocabulary till recently. Learn as you go I guess. I'm still looking forward to shooting with this lens. It should be arriving via ups in the next couple of days.

5. MonteMama

MonteMama Calmer than you, Dude.

Photos OK to edit
    It's my favorite lens - great value. Long for casual indoor use but terrific in an outdoor setting. I think you'll love it.

6. nossie

nossie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I can never agree with this. Maybe I don't understand it properly or it's a general misconception... In fact I think it warrants a new post all to itself.

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1008977#post1008977

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good point...it does not effectively become a 136mm lens. It effectively has the same filed of view that a 136mm lens would have on a full frame or 35mm camera. (which is most likely not in the equation here).

What is important, is that 85mm has more magnification and a narrower field of view than 55mm, which is the OP's longest focal length at the moment. It may be a valid point that this may be too long for some situations.

b.t.w. You will love the 85mm lens...the fit and feel are much, much better than he kit lens and the image quality is outstanding.