New Canon Rebel T2i / 550D

Here we go with the mega pixels... Don't they know 18mp on a tiny sensor isn't good?
Yeah, I wish they would slow this ISO rush for sure. But honestly, the 7D is 18MP and it's doing great with high ISO and image quality. The difference between the two is that the T2i reads out on 4 channels while the 7D reads out on 8... and the 7D has two Digic 4 processors whereas the T2i only has one. That means the T2i will likely have more noise in the final images at high ISO.

Unfortunately we'll continue to see megapixels increase. I like that Nikon is waiting a generation before upping their pixel counts, I wish Canon would have done the same. Although I have to admit, 16MP on the 1.3 sensor seems about right to me.

I trust that the T2i will be a great performing camera. I look forward to reading the reviews.

I think that there is a lot of mis-conception about megapixels and noise. The Canon 5DII has 21 and perferms very well. The 7D is another fantastic performer with 18. The 1DIV is fantastic at 16. I think a lot of the nay-saying comes from folks looking at images at 100% on a screen. Final prints show all three of these cameras to be very, very clean. Take the 7D for example......way more MP than the competition and cleaner/as clean high ISO.

The Nikon D3s still looks to be about a half stop better at high ISO than the 1DIV, but being able to shoot at 12,800 iso with any body made by any manufacturer is a great thing. Its a great era to be a photographer, whether its hobbiest or pro, there is something at everyones price point. And even if your price point is at budget level, you can still get one hell of a camera from any manufacturer. happy days!

I like my d90 and to be honest was immediately questioning my buy of my camera. Until I remembered glass is more important and I have a great camera. Dagnabbit the tech geek inside of me always needing the best things.. lol

I rolled my eyes at the specs when I saw them. I've been eying the Nikon D90 to replace my Canon A-1 filmy, and boggled at the T2i's 18 Megapixel spec given the sensor and processor. Having held the bodies of the D90, and the current T1i, I slightly prefer the Nikon, and looking over the rest of the camera, I see no reason to wait for this one to appear in stores for some hands on evaluation.

Future Shop in Soviet Canuckistan estimates 02/26/2010 release. Priced at 1,000 CDN for the body and 18-55mm kit lense.

This release seems underwhelming at the price point to me... :meh:

I don't hate the megapixels, except for the space they take up; though memory is getting cheaper and cheaper.

What bugs is that they are increasingly increasing the pixel count even after their huge step with the G11. However, it does reflect somewhat on Canon; that they are prepare to go up, meaning they must have some sense about their limits and what they can do.

I do have a feeling it won't be too bad, perhaps even with ISO improvements. Personally, I don't see much of a reason for any DSLR owner to upgrade; the 450D->500D had more, and even then... no, not really, for beginners. I suppose, though, they are targeting a new range of buyers.

Even if there's heavy marketing on it's video capabilities, that is still what makes the Canon 550D different from the Canon 500D.

Can you imagine having HD video at an affordable price?

I think they make more money from the lower ranges, that's why you see so many more of them. The shop near me doesn't even carry anything above the Rebel range, and they told me that their clientele consider Rebels to be "high end." I agree that the Rebel is a great camera, and I think that this shows that it's Canon's bread and butter.
Absolutely true. They probably sell 50 or 100 Rebels for every XXD camera they sell. And probably 10,000 (or more) rebels for every 1D they sell. The more I think about it, the more I think those estimates are probably very low.

I agree as well. If you check out Amazon can compare the ranking of Canon cameras in terms of sales, the Rebel series are at the top.

Just checked out Amazon. It's now available on pre-order.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T2i-Digital-3-0-Inch-18-55mm/dp/B0035FZJHQ?ie=UTF8&tag=adventtravela-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969"]Rebel T2i kit - 899.99[/ame]
ir

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T2i-3-0-Inch-Body-Only/dp/B0035FZJI0?ie=UTF8&tag=adventtravela-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969"]Rebel T2i body only - 799.99[/ame]
ir

Also now listed in B&H Photo but no price yet:
Rebel T2i kit
Rebel T2i body only

Last edited:
Its pretty clear as of late that Canon is directly targeting Nikon. (in my opinion) Where as the two companies never quite matched specs in the lower two tiers of camera bodies. This Rebel looks like a direct attack on the D90 and obviously Canon produced the 7D to thwart the D300 which they did very nicely. Again, its a great time to be a photographer......or gear collector. Hell, even my father who is a technology junky got a DSLR this Christmas just because he thinks its amazing that you can take photos and record HD video. LOL

It seems that there is another model Canon is going to announce.

Rumour peoples saw 2 new model numbers not too long ago, one turned out to be the T2i. I wonder if the other will be a 5D MkIII as Canon already upped all its other lines...introduced the 7D, 1DMkIV and now T2i. Unless they are going with a 60D?

An update to the 5D would be a very welcoming experience. I must say, I have had zero issues with my 5D autofocus, but if it was more like the 7D autofocus, I wouldn't put it back in the bag when subjects started becoming more dynamic.

It seems that there is another model Canon is going to announce.

Rumour peoples saw 2 new model numbers not too long ago, one turned out to be the T2i. I wonder if the other will be a 5D MkIII as Canon already upped all its other lines...introduced the 7D, 1DMkIV and now T2i. Unless they are going with a 60D?
I'm pretty sure it will be a 60D. We probably won't hear rumblings of a 5D3 until the end of the year.

An update to the 5D would be a very welcoming experience. I must say, I have had zero issues with my 5D autofocus, but if it was more like the 7D autofocus, I wouldn't put it back in the bag when subjects started becoming more dynamic.
Yup, I've already put the money away for the 5D3. I will order the moment it's announced so I can be in on the first shipment from Adorama. :)

Having held the bodies of the D90, and the current T1i, I slightly prefer the Nikon, and looking over the rest of the camera, I see no reason to wait for this one to appear in stores for some hands on evaluation.
The new T2i has updated ergonomics. It's said that it shares the same feel as the new 7D, which is a very nice feel indeed.

I agree as well. If you check out Amazon can compare the ranking of Canon cameras in terms of sales, the Rebel series are at the top.
In the last couple of years Canon has out sold Nikon globally.

That pendulum shifts from year to year. It would seem that the next year or so will be a Canon year(s) with the introduction of the 7D and 1D4 which upped Canon's game especially since Nikon punted with the D300s and D3s (nothing really changed in these models).

Nikon might release a bombshell with the rumored new D700. But if it's just another S model with few changes like the D300s and D3s, it won't be all that note worthy. The D700 didn't fare well against the 5D2 in the marketplace despite its technical advantages (most notably the superior AF system and faster continuous mode). So if Nikon punts with a D700s things will likely continue as they have for the last couple of years until we get totally new releases. At that point anything can happen. I doubt Nikon will sit back and let Canon have the lead for long, I'm sure they'll eventually fire back with something pretty amazing.

It is a great time for photographers. :)

Most reactions

Back