New Canon SL1 - Need advice on accessories

bryguy_ASU

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Updated Thread:
Got the Samsung NX300 instead of the SL1.

-------Old Post Below-------
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and to photography. I'm getting a SL1 for Xmas, I'm excited! I've read that the kit lens 18-55mm STM is a great lens. Aside from that, I don't know much.

Here's what I'm getting so far:

*40mm pancake lens
*hood for the kit lens
*spare batteries and SD cards.
*tripod

Can anyone recommend some other accessories? What's a good camera bag? Do I need lens filters or protection filters? Lens pen?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Cheap brand camera bags are a really high-profit item for stores. A $69 bag costs like $4.99 wholesale from China. I used to work for a camera store chain,and I can tell you, filters and camera bags are sooooooo cheap at wholesale that if you as a retail customer were told the dealer payed, you would become very angry, very fast at knowing how badly you're being ripped off. Moral of the story? Look for a bag that YOU feel works well for YOUR needs and your set-up. And do not pay too much for it.

Lens pen? Uh, no. Spare SD card, sure, this is a good time to buy low-priced memory cards. I can sense your enthusiasm, I really can. I would get the outfit, shoot with it for a while, and then decide what's needed. Tripods are tricky; there are $49 CHEAPIES GOOD FOR A SELF-TIMER SHOT OR TWO, and there are $1,000 GITZO 'PODS FOR MOUNTAINEERING. You probnably want a tripoid somewhere in between those two; Adorama's Flashpoint 1127 or 1128 carbon fiber models are great values, IMHO. In some ways, I prefer a waist-pack AKA a fanny pack, for a camera with lens, and then a spare lens. With the right fanny pack, you can carry the camera, lens, spare lens, and flash, in a smallish pack that's easy to have strapped to your body, so you never want to leave it behind in the car, or whatnot, AND it's small AND you never have to "set it down". With the ultra-compact size of the SL-1, the smaller size of a fanny pack makes a lot of sense to me.

Thank you Derrel for your input. I ended up buying an Incase DSLR sling bag... got it for 50% off retail. I like that I can stick my tablet in there, too.

BTW, I tried searching for those tripods on Adorama's site... I think it's discontinued. The search continues. I just want something inexpensive, lightweight, and reliable enough. I'm not a avid outdoorsman or anything. I'm more like an urban ninja! Haha

If I'm going to be a casual shooter, you guys think I should buy 1 or 2 extra batteries?

Also... I have a full version of Photoshop CS6. Do I still need Lightroom?

Yeah, I see that--the 1128 tripod was probably sold out during the Black Friday promo, where it was ABOUT HALF OFF! I saw that on ken Rockwell.com a few days ago. I bought an 1127 myself...it seems like Adorama might have actually discontinued the Flashpoint tripod line??
I went to Adorama just now. This looks decent Vanguard ALTA+ 224 Carbon Tripod with SBH-30 Ball Head ALTA+ 224CB It's another lower-cost CF tripod, the Vanguard brand.

Batteries? I think if the battery can do 500 shots, then only 1 extra is needed for most people, most of the time. 1,000 frame sis usually enough for a good long day of "serious" shooting, for most people. I dunno...for "me" Lightroom is simply faster and more-intuitive for editing my images in large numbers. I prefer Lightroom's on-screen interface to PS's interface....I can literally "see" the tools easier in LR, and for "me" at least, I think Lightroom is faster and more-efficiently designed for my normal, everyday type of image editing.

Tripods: Check out this guy: Manfrotto 60.6" PhotoVideo Tripod MKC3-H01 - Best Buy

Batteries: Might as well wait. DSLR batteries last a really long time. I've had single batteries last 1,000+ shots.

SD Cards: Derrel is right. Right now is a GREAT time to get a few SD cards for dirt cheap. I know Best Buy usually has SD cards on sale for about 50% or more off.

Tripods: Check out this guy: Manfrotto 60.6" PhotoVideo Tripod MKC3-H01 - Best Buy

Batteries: Might as well wait. DSLR batteries last a really long time. I've had single batteries last 1,000+ shots.

SD Cards: Derrel is right. Right now is a GREAT time to get a few SD cards for dirt cheap. I know Best Buy usually has SD cards on sale for about 50% or more off.

So Scorpion... I took your advice and got the Manfrotto. I REALLY like this tripod and it works exceptionally well for my needs. I like that it can be used for photos and videos.

Now to TPF friends, another major change is that I returned my SL1 and got the Samsung NX300 w/ the 18-55mm OIS III kit lens. I'm getting the 30mm f/2 pancake this week. I really like my decision so far :)

ilPPBmvsyZvU.JPG

iba5jbn6ESJS4w.JPG

With that many leg sections, the flip-lock system is worth its weight in gold, in terms ofd speed and ease of set-up, adjusting, and collapsing. Enjoy the new Samsung NX!!!

Cheap brand camera bags are a really high-profit item for stores. A $69 bag costs like $4.99 wholesale from China. I used to work for a camera store chain,and I can tell you, filters and camera bags are sooooooo cheap at wholesale

This.I used to work in a place which made embedded computers. In loads of under 1000 we could SD cards with a few gigs capacity for something like 40p each from china.

I just got the the Samsung NX300 yesterday with the F/3.5-5.6 20-50mm ED II. 23.5 X 15.7 @ 20.3 megapixel sensor with a 3.3 AMOLED touch screen and a 1/6000 shutter speed with 8.6 FPS is truly amazing. If I could screw on my Sigma 150-500 on it I would give it a shot with BIF. My Bigma lens Hood is bigger then the NX300.:lol:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back