New Christmas present and a the maiden voyage photos

jjparson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I received a D80 for Christmas with a 18 - 200 lens. I have only had point and shoot up to this point, so this is all a little overwhelming for me. I will be using the camera mostly to chronicle my outdoor lifestyle as well as taking picture of my family. I was not really sure where to start, so I decided to use auto mode and just start taking some pictures. We have been pounded with snow here in Utah for the past couple of days, so here are a couple of shots. Please share your knowledge and tell me all the ways it can be improved.

Thanks in advance

1-
DSC_0002.jpg

2-
DSC_0005.jpg

3-
DSC_0006.jpg

4-
h
DSC_0014.jpg

I really like the over all color in all of them. and i love country settings :)

If you worked witih them in post production, you could really make the pics "pop" out.

really nice shots and composition IMO

#2 you cant really tell what it should be focused on. i think it wood be better if it wasa focused on the mountains.

#4 maybe the horse should be on the left oor right side of the frame.

Not too bad. Much better than the typical "hey, I just got a camera - what do you think of these?" shots.

I think 1 & 3 could have benefited from taking about one step back.

I like number 4 the best. I may have moved the horse a tad to the left yet. I wonder if a circular polarizer would've benefited with the sky on a couple of them. Overall I like them.

I think #4 has a lot of potential. Did you take any other pictures of this horse where the shot is composed differently? You live in a gorgeous place; I wish I had this type of scenery to shoot.

I think #4 has a lot of potential. Did you take any other pictures of this horse where the shot is composed differently? You live in a gorgeous place; I wish I had this type of scenery to shoot.

Thanks for the feedback. I did not take any others with a different composition, but this is very near my house. Do you have suggestions on what I could do different when I go back?

To everyone else. Thanks for your critiques. Question on a polarizer. What effect will this have and when should it be used.

Cheers.

hows everyone gettin such expensive christmas presents!! lol, anyways, i really like all of them! great start

Most reactions

Back