new computer configuration(need opinion of other geeks)

Skyeg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im throwing together a computer, im going for under $500, it will be replacing a P4 1.8 with a 40GB HD 256MB SDRAM 64MB DDR radion 7500 with a a crappy MOBO and sound card.

this will be a seccond computer definitly not my primery machine, i will be useing a 19" trinitron and a 17" flat pannel that i already have on above mentioned computer.

tell me if u think anythign definitly needs to be changed...i thinks its ok but i could be wronge.

2.8GHz P4 800FSB (prescot core)
MSI 848p neo-v with 6channel audio and lan
Radeon 9600SE 128MB DDR
2x 256MB DDR pc-3200
80GB 7200RPM SATA HD
DVD-rom
also a nice case, 400watt PS, fans and all the cables i need

You can't go wrong with that. I am not a big fan of MSI MB's but they have worked ok for me in the past.

is there something else ud recomend in the $60ish price range?

IMHO the hard drive could be bigger and you might want to think about a video capture card.
BTW, I assume the DVD drive is a writer and not just a reader?

i have a pretty good video capture card in the computer im replacing with this one..so ill pull it out and stick it in this although i almost never use it. i was going to do two 80GB's in raid 0 but im tryign to keep it under $500 so im not. this isnt my primery computer (my primery machine is a 3.4GHz P4 extreme edition, ABIT ic7-max3, 4x 512MB PC-3200, 240GB SATA Raid 0, 8x DVD+RW, Radion 9800XT, dual 21" trinitron monitors) this is just going to be a seccond computer to use for general stuff, im not doing my photo and video editing on it, som im not worried about the harddrive.

Skyeg said:
i have a pretty good video capture card in the computer im replacing with this one..so ill pull it out and stick it in this although i almost never use it. i was going to do two 80GB's in raid 0 but im tryign to keep it under $500 so im not. this isnt my primery computer (my primery machine is a 3.4GHz P4 extreme edition, ABIT ic7-max3, 4x 512MB PC-3200, 240GB SATA Raid 0, 8x DVD+RW, Radion 9800XT, dual 21" trinitron monitors) this is just going to be a seccond computer to use for general stuff, im not doing my photo and video editing on it, som im not worried about the harddrive.

That's :drool: one hellacious setup!
Are you running two 120Gb drives (240 Gb total) with Raid 0?

yeah two 120GB's

Skyeg said:

Nice Very close to what I'm about to build. Other than I'm putting in a gig of DDR PC3200, 160GB SATA Raid 0, Radion 9600, and AMD 64bit 3200+. Nice pc.

i was going to throw together another computer like im using now...but i just thought i needed to split the money between camera stuff and computer stuff so im building the cheap computer and getting a DX lens or two for my D70

Skyeg said:
im throwing together a computer, im going for under $500, it will be replacing a P4 1.8 with a 40GB HD 256MB SDRAM 64MB DDR radion 7500 with a a crappy MOBO and sound card.

this will be a seccond computer definitly not my primery machine, i will be useing a 19" trinitron and a 17" flat pannel that i already have on above mentioned computer.

tell me if u think anythign definitly needs to be changed...i thinks its ok but i could be wronge.

2.8GHz P4 800FSB (prescot core)
MSI 848p neo-v with 6channel audio and lan
Radeon 9600SE 128MB DDR
2x 256MB DDR pc-3200
80GB 7200RPM SATA HD
DVD-rom
also a nice case, 400watt PS, fans and all the cables i need

I would stay away from the Radeon 9600SE, the SE versions are basically stripped down and from what I hear are utter garbage. I would also go for a gig of ram, I did it with my last computer and I haven't been sorry, as soon games will need it.

im not looking for an excelent computer here...just a cheap seccond computer,
my primery computer is a 3.4GHz P4 extreme edition, ABIT ic7-max3, 4x 512MB PC-3200, 240GB SATA Raid 0, 8x DVD+RW, Radion 9800XT, dual 21" trinitron monitors

if i add more ram and a better video card it will bring price over $500 is there anythign else u think should be changed but keeping it around $500?

Skyeg said:
im not looking for an excelent computer here...just a cheap seccond computer,
my primery computer is a 3.4GHz P4 extreme edition, ABIT ic7-max3, 4x 512MB PC-3200, 240GB SATA Raid 0, 8x DVD+RW, Radion 9800XT, dual 21" trinitron monitors

if i add more ram and a better video card it will bring price over $500 is there anythign else u think should be changed but keeping it around $500?

Your doing pretty good for $500, and your primary computer rocks.

Most reactions

Back