New Concert Photos C&C

biancarose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.shadylittleroad.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I have been working a lot on my concert photography, and I am very proud that I am now shooting without flash. I took these below pictures, and I would love some critique.

Camera was a nikon d40 These were my settings fstop: f/4.2 exposure time is 1/50 and 1/60 sec ISO 200
These were all shot in RAW (which I love and do not know why I have not been using) and nothing much from photoshop except the raw adjustments

l_a64256d6ed0f4996a09daa0b1c2a2c92.jpg

l_42894c7ea66543f89aac7113ecc76b90.jpg

l_cad75ae5410548389a3ebb6e847f4c58.jpg

l_eeff3339397f42a59bd4e15600e484c8.jpg

l_5a212c50c68746dea0457782af429232.jpg

Thanks in advance.

#3 is my pick of the group.

Now this is the Bianca I remember ;)

I like the headspace in this image, I think it works well with the angled shot.

The worse thing I could say on these is please get rid of the .com white bar at the bottom of each picture. It is very distracting on these images. Also, put some space between each image, for easier viewing.

#3 is my pick of the group.

Now this is the Bianca I remember ;)

I like the headspace in this image, I think it works well with the angled shot.

The worse thing I could say on these is please get rid of the .com white bar at the bottom of each picture. It is very distracting on these images. Also, put some space between each image, for easier viewing.

Thank you, I have been really working on planning my pictures and such. I hate the .com thing too, but when the band uses them they like to give me credit. I have been trying to think of the least offensive way to put it on the images.

Any ideas?

Yeah, use a color just light enough to be readable, and just text, no effects.
That white bar sticks out like a sore thumb and takes away from your image.

I hate the .com thing too, but when the band uses them they like to give me credit. I have been trying to think of the least offensive way to put it on the images.
Any ideas?

If these are just an added text layer, adjust the opacity so they are still visible, but not as distracting.

They are a little dark to me, but I'd say you could easily shoot at ISO 400 and still not have any noise. That would allow you to increase your shutter speed too.

I will try the ISO 400 this weekend. I have another gig to shoot. I think I make have gone a bit overboard on the black when editing in raw cause i wanted just the subject to stand out and not what was behind them

I'm new to photography and don't know much about it at all, but the black around these pics is what makes them "pop" to me. These are great pics. The darkness gives the feel of actually being there. Most of the indoor concerts I've been to are dark like this. So, these feel "real" to me.

I will try the ISO 400 this weekend. I have another gig to shoot. I think I make have gone a bit overboard on the black when editing in raw cause i wanted just the subject to stand out and not what was behind them

I was referring to the subjects, I get the fact you're trying to get the background blacked out which does make the photo better but you could bring up the light on the subjects a little. ISO 400 or even 800 will gain you some extra light and even a bit more shutter speed (although these are pretty sharp as is).

In a second look at these, one thing I would recommend is changing your shooting locations throughout the concert. You don't want to have a portfolio full of front row looking up shots, and you might find some great compositions further back with the crowd in the shot. Even speak with the venue/band to see if you can get some on stage shots (out of the way of course).

And some strobes on different channels at the front of the stage to create a cool backlit effect while the camera is pointed at the crowd from backstage...just kidding. It's silly how reading Strobist can get creative ideas in one's head about lighting.

As for clipping blacks in RAW processing: Thank you for not being one of the geeky people who want to get every ounce of "detail" in their photos at whatever cost and get rid of all clipping in both directions. >.<

more shutter speed (although these are pretty sharp as is).

In a second look at these, one thing I would recommend is changing your shooting locations throughout the concert. You don't want to have a portfolio full of front row looking up shots, and you might find some great compositions further back with the crowd in the shot. Even speak with the venue/band to see if you can get some on stage shots (out of the way of course).

Yeah, that is something I need to work on. I would love to move back somewhere, but I dont think my camera would survive a mosh pit LOL

And some strobes on different channels at the front of the stage to create a cool backlit effect while the camera is pointed at the crowd from backstage...just kidding. It's silly how reading Strobist can get creative ideas in one's head about lighting.

As for clipping blacks in RAW processing: Thank you for not being one of the geeky people who want to get every ounce of "detail" in their photos at whatever cost and get rid of all clipping in both directions. >.<

LOL next time I'll see how they feel about me bringing my own lighting haha..

I gotta have one subject to look at. My eyes go crazy. My friend shot this one pictures and I was editing it, and it had the bassist flicking his uber long dreds all over the place, the guitarist doing something crazy and the lead singer jumping on the mosh pit. I had no idea where to look lol

That's probably because they don't know about filling the frame... >.> (While lots of negative space can enhance a subject, a ton of potential subjects is always kinda blah...unless that's not the point, like some street photography.)

I personally like the second one. The bass guitar looks big and mighty but not mightier than its master wailing on it.:mrgreen: It looks very natural and the composition looks balanced to me.

As you increase the ISO so will the noise, as I'm sure you're aware. I was wondering if the D40 has in camera noise reduction. My D60 does and I can get easily usable images at up to ISO 3200.

The D60 has 40% more pixels to work with, but still, ISO 800 & 1600 may be realisticly usable since you could still do de-noise in ACR and Photoshop. It would give you a bit more wiggle room for aperture and shutter speed.

This is RAW converted straight to JPEG, SOOC, ISO 3200 from the D60 with the in camera high ISO NR on.

MiscD606-10-09_004.jpg

Most reactions

Back