ruifo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So says NikonRumors.com
New Nikon D5500 DSLR camera with touch screen coming in early 2015 | Nikon Rumors

Also they say that the D3200, the D5200, and the D7000 are being discontinued:
R.I.P. Nikon D3200, D5200 and D7000 | Nikon Rumors

2014 was the year of new FX bodies, and 2015 looks like to be the year of new DX bodies.
Yep I read this on the Rumors site yesterday and I agree that 2015 looks like more DX bodies but I am sure Nikon will find a way to stick an FX somewhere along the year, no doubt they see their future with FX and doing all they can to move their users to this format!

Nikon is creating a lot of clutter releasing a new D5x00 every 12 months.
Imagine what the used Nikon DSLR market will look like in 10 years.
You'll need a scorecard to keep track of the all the D5x00 and D3x00 players.

At the current rate Nikon is releasing D5x00 cameras y'all will be posting about D5900 rumors in 2019.
The D5000 was announced in 2009 (April). The D3000 was announced in 2009 too (July).

Nikon sells the vast majority of their cameras in the entry-level DX market segment.
I seriously doubt that FX body sales will ever get anywhere near DX body sales.
I would speculate that Nikon sells thousands more (10's of thousands more?) entry-level D7x00 for each entry-level D6x0 Nikon sells.

It costs about 4x more to make an FX image sensor than to make a DX image sensor, and the image sensor is the single most expensive part in a DSLR camera.
That is the main reason FX bodies have a higher price than DX bodies.
Stuffing a FX sensor into a D7x00 body to create the D600 saved Nikon some scratch initially, but the bad PR the D600 generated probably hurt sales enough to negate the savings.

This was my first thought as well. I am not a business expert but I can't see how updating these bodies so often is practical for Nikon.

At the current rate Nikon is releasing D5x00 cameras y'all will be posting about D5900 rumors in 2019.
The D5000 was announced in 2009 (April). The D3000 was announced in 2009 too (July).

Nikon sells the vast majority of their cameras in the entry-level DX market segment.
I seriously doubt that FX body sales will ever get anywhere near DX body sales.
I would speculate that Nikon sells thousands more (10's of thousands more?) entry-level D7x00 for each entry-level D6x0 Nikon sells.

It costs about 4x more to make an FX image sensor than to make a DX image sensor, and the image sensor is the single most expensive part in a DSLR camera.
That is the main reason FX bodies have a higher price DX bodies.
Stuffing a FX sensor into a D7x00 body to create the D600 saved Nikon some scratch initially, but the bad PR the D600 generated probably hurt sales enough to negate the savings.

Yup. DX bodies pay the bills and volume multiplies the thin margins. Problem now is that Nikon sales aren't exactly stellar. Sony is doing some serious pricing to put FF cameras in the hands of the masses, more so than Nikon. A7 kits in my area are underselling D610 bodies. There are likely MAP restrictions still in place on dealers for the D7000/D7100, though I did see the Amazon deal for D7000 bodies under $500.Suspect D7100 prices will decline into 2015 and fall faster when/if a replacement surfaces. Still think it possible that Nikon will roll-out a MILC body or two, possibly next year.

I love this news as I hope to soon upgrade to a 5300 or 7100 used/refurb and this will mean lower prices for me. I couldn't care less about a touch screen...

At all the consumer stores - Target, Meijers, Walmart etc I only see d3x00 and d5x00 and their other cameras and competitors there. Nah a higher end DX nor FX body there. No sense in wasting the display space for cameras that sell at very low volumes if at all at those stores.

I don't see Nikon forcing ppl to buy FX. The low cost buyers would just flock to Canon .. and if they did, sooner or later upgrade to a Canon FF as Nikon would no longer have an "upgrade" path. Sounds like a marketing suicidal strategy to me if they dropped DX cameras.

Think of all the ppl on TPF that have Nikon DX.
\Now imagine if they all had Canon crop instead.
and how hard it would be to convert those ppl to Nikon FF instead of Canon FF or Crop down the road.

At all the consumer stores - Target, Meijers, Walmart etc I only see d3x00 and d5x00 and their other cameras and competitors there. Nah a higher end DX nor FX body there. No sense in wasting the display space for cameras that sell at very low volumes if at all at those stores.

Funny but FutureShop--a BestBuy-owned Canadian chain--sells D7xxx and D6xx/D8xx bodies off the pedestals next to the
D3xxx/5xxx kits. They seem to be giving some grief to the old school camera stores around Toronto, especially during this holiday season. Nikon Canada just wants to move merch.

Nikon's strategy ... stop making DX in order to give business to struggling Pentax and Canon !!

D400??

Sorry, but I had to say it.

D400??

Sorry, but I had to say it.
I think we have pretty much concluded that the D400 is a mythical camera that will probably never come out, sadly to me it looks like if you want a crop sensor sports camera your only option is the Canon 7D II

I'm holding off purchasing a new body. Was interested in going for a smaller body but same IQ and DR (or more than) my D7k. Right now the Sony A7 II looks the like the best option.... But they don't have the lens I'm looking for or the AF performance... So I will wait. I may end up waiting a while but no biggie. It's not a need but just a want.

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

I'm holding off purchasing a new body. Was interested in going for a smaller body but same IQ and DR (or more than) my D7k. Right now the Sony A7 II looks the like the best option.... But they don't have the lens I'm looking for or the AF performance... So I will wait. I may end up waiting a while but no biggie. It's not a need but just a want.

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis
I think the future A7 will be a very good camera. today I think Sony is trying to pull more video camera users then stills users.
Meaning when Sony is producing maximum aperture of f4 to me this means they are not trying to steal FF Canon or FF Nikon users but more those who want a FF video camera.
Now I am not saying current A7 isnt a good camera, I am saying that to me it looks like Sony is not really trying hard to pull FF hardcore users.
If in the future they will have as good or better DSLR AF system and if they will produce fast f2.8 FF zoom lenses then they will be VERY appealing to more potential customers.
I love the A7 but as I said before for me personally I am waiting for them to make high quality fast 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8, if and when they will make it then I will start looking at their camera more seriously.
Its killing me to see Sony making such a nice FF camera and then putting a bottle neck on it in the way of slow lenses.

Most reactions

Back