New D5500 and D7200 in 2015

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to pick up an "outdated" camera body.

The main problem with the 7D II is its price, for 1900$ I personally would rather go with the D610, dont need such high FPS and or huge buffer.

Then the 7Dmk2 isn't aimed at you.

For $1799 (not $1900.. :048:) you get 10 FPS, 65 AF points (all cross type), an amazing AF system and a buffer that never seems to quit.
Or..
For $1799 (same price) you can get Canon's FF 6D.

Canon isn't using 'Price Range' to decide its Camera lineup. They use 'Features' and 'Needs'... Something Nikon needs to start doing.

The main problem with the 7D II is its price, for 1900$ I personally would rather go with the D610, dont need such high FPS and or huge buffer.

Then the 7Dmk2 isn't aimed at you.

For $1799 (not $1900.. :048:) you get 10 FPS, 65 AF points (all cross type), an amazing AF system and a buffer that never seems to quit.
Or..
For $1799 (same price) you can get Canon's FF 6D.

Canon isn't using 'Price Range' to decide its Camera lineup. They use 'Features' and 'Needs'... Something Nikon needs to start doing.
Nah, we are not going to get into the "Who got the Biggest" argument.
7D II is an outstanding camera and its priced accordingly and you are correct it is not for me, I don't need a sports dedicated camera so on me it would be wasted, for me its all about low light performance and now that I got the feel of the FF nectar I am aint going back.
Now as for the D610 vs 6D both are capable cameras and command respect, me I chose the D750 which is in my eyes best general purpose use camera in its price range, of course when the new 6D will come out it will be "All best are off", but honestly who cares, I am out there shooting and that's all that matter :)

..., for me its all about low light performance and now that I got the feel of the FF nectar I am aint going back....
Lowlight performance is quite awesome isn't it.

I apologize if that's how my comment came off...

My point was... at the end of the day these Nikon cameras are just updates, not upgrades.

as in.. i don't see myself needing the updated D7200. I'd rather 'upgrade' my D7100 to something else.

Last edited:
..., for me its all about low light performance and now that I got the feel of the FF nectar I am aint going back....
Lowlight performance is quite awesome isn't it.
It is amazing, so liberating, helps focusing at composition instead of how to avoid noisy pictures :)
These FX Nikon (Sony) sensors are a huge advantage! :)

My point was... at the end of the day these Nikon cameras are just updates, not upgrades.

as in.. i don't see myself needing the updated D7200. I'd rather 'upgrade' my D7100 to something else.
My thoughts exactly, I never planed to upgrade my D7100 to another crop sensor, I was waiting for the right FX to come and when the D750 showed up I jumped on it

I also recently bought a D7100 in August. I have gotten quite a few amazing photos out of it. About a month later I picked up the 24-70 and got even more great photos. It has gotten to the point where people are asking to buy prints, or for me to shoot sessions. I haven't done much of either because I'm an introvert but I will be starting soon because I have taken a few major steps this week. I never saw the D7100 as my end all camera fro a few years. I saw it as the tool I needed to get from my D3200, to easier/better photos. The bracketing and speed was what I needed along with the added controls and customization. Now the next step is a FX, not another DX. They can upgrade the others all they want as long as it helps them fund the research for when I get my FX soon.

More rumors:
Nikon D7200 rumored specifications | Nikon Rumors

Here are the rumored Nikon D7200 specifications:

• New 24MP APS-C sensor
  • Nikon D750 styled body with a tilting screen
  • Expeed 4 processor
  • MultiCAM 3500DX2 autofocus system
  • 51 AF points
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • 6fps
  • Buffer: 16 RAW+JPG
  • Video: 1080p @60 and 720p @120 (not sure about 4k)
  • Video aperture will be adjustable during live view
  • Expected announcement in the first few months of 2015
If those specifications are correct (I am still not sure), the D7200 will not be a professional level camera - just an incremental D7100 update, something like the D750 in a DX format. This still leaves hope for a real D300 replacement.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: Nikon D7200 rumored specifications | Nikon Rumors
If the the D7200 does come about and it has these specs, I'll have to have one. The improvements I see like Expeed 4 processing, 51 AF points and bigger buffer is what I see as a big improvement over my D7000.

If the the D7200 does come about and it has these specs, I'll have to have one. The improvements I see like Expeed 4 processing, 51 AF points and bigger buffer is what I see as a big improvement over my D7000.
The Expeed 4 is an obvious upgrade and a bigger buffer is a must to make the camera more usable for faster action shooting but honestly the AF with its 51 points on the D7100 is already fantastic, it never let me down on my old D7100 and while the one on my D750 is more modern and better I didn't feel for my needs that it actually works better then the one I had on the D7100. I think Nikon's 51 AF focus system is just great, maybe Canons in some cameras is better (I don't really know, just saying) but for me it was already far more then I ever needed.
I moved from the D7000 o the D7100 and I did feel it was a nice upgrade back then in the AF department.

FX does rock!!! Can't go back. But I do still have love for my D300. Can't let it go. When lighting is well, it's a monster machine.

FX does rock!!! Can't go back. But I do still have love for my D300. Can't let it go. When lighting is well, it's a monster machine.
Agreed, I own a silly little Nikon D60 which is always sitting on standby right on my counter with the 18-55mm on it, in good lighting conditions I promise you its 10MP will produce pictures just as good as my D750, its tiny and light camera which is great casual user, of course when its time to get serious full frame is just a whole different ball game.

as in.. i don't see myself needed the updated D7200. I'd rather 'upgrade' my D7100 to something else.
Aren't most cameras like that .. and most things in general ?
I didn't jump to a d7100 because it wasn't much more than my d7000 as
Yup, the reason I hold on to my d7000.
But I've been realizing that the "lighting being right" is far less than what I thought a few months ago. I'm just getting used to the flexibility of the FX more and more and using the crop less and less.

astroNikon said:
Aren't most cameras like that .. and most things in general ?
I didn't jump to a d7100 because it wasn't much more than my d7000 as

For me, the AF performance boost the D7100 got was enough for me to upgrade from my D7000. The 16mp to 24mp jump also was a nice bonus (like adding a 1.5x teleconverter :) )

When was the last time any DX body got a megapixel upgrade? I wouldn't be surprised to see the D7100 AF system show up in the D5500 (since the D7200 gets the AF from the D750/D810). If that happens... why wouldn't people jump from the D7000 to the D5500? Now we're going backwards :)

... why wouldn't people jump from the D7000 to the D5500? Now we're going backwards :)
User interaction ... buttons, wheels, the in-body motor, larger viewfinder, etc.
or whatever the future holds ...

Most reactions

Back