New D90 hmm...

Hellrot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.connerallred.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought a D90 two days ago and it seems like even my low ISO shots are noisy. Is this a faulty body? should I exchange it? Here's an example.

Shot with a 70-200 f2.8 Nikkor

At ISO 400

http://files.me.com/conner.allred/yzwqao

I don't have a web-server anymore so you'll have to download the picture. But that's where it's being hosted.

Thanks!

In general, noise in photos are not a function of a faulty sensor. Obvious issues such as banding and dead pixels etc are something of a concern.

Was this photo edited or adjusted in post prior to posting it here?

Was this shot at raw and converted to jpeg or shot directly as a jpeg?

The first one to me looks worse than the second sample.... IMO, the second doesn't look that bad. Have you tried some samples in RAW to take the camera's JPEG engine out of the picture?

At first glance, I thought the first was originally way underexposed and pushed in post. Which is why I replied with questions but it was straight from the card. I do see a bit of jpeg artifacts making their way in. hmm?

Perhaps another D90 shooter more familiar with the camera's images can chime in? (Can't find full rez jpeg samples on the internet... to compare to.

It looks a little better in raw. but I think I'm going to exchange it. If the second one does the same -- then it must just be how it is and I'll get over it. But I work at Best Buy, they'll let me exchange as many as I want haha. So I might as well make sure ;)

Is active D-lighting turned on?

The first one looks "worse" because it has a lot of blank area (the sky) that brings out the noise more obviously when you're looking for it.

Wait... you're complaining about 100% crops? You will never have noiseless photos at 100% with any current crop frame. If you want perfectly clean base ISO photos at 100%, you'll need to break the bank for a current full-frame camera (D700, D3, D3x, 5D MK II, 1Ds MK III).

But, seriously, don't worry about it. Noise is mostly a digital-viewing factor. ISO 1600 on my D40 is noisy as heck, but it barely shows up at all on an 8x10.

I shoot with D90, Pretty happy about noise (lack of it) compared to D50 and D70. With my D300, I don't see much of a difference. Also, what are you camera settings?
I have mine Noise Reduction set to HIGH. Also I rarely shoot raw, usually fine jpg (medium or large) depending on what and IF I'll be printing it. Generally ISO 400 does the job and I rarely need to go further then that but on rare occasions, I go to 1600 and images come out ok b4 noise reduction on computer.
I'm having difficulties DLing your images thus I can't comment on them. Sorry.
See if you can contact Nikon regarding this.
Good Luck

At 100%, of course it was: the D90 crams more pixels onto a sensor of the same size. Take identical exposures both cameras and downsample or print them the same size; the D90 will be cleaner.

Take identical exposures on each, downsample or print them to the same size. The shot out of the D90 will be cleaner.

Ive noticed that since getting the D90, my pictures are cleaner with less noise at 400 than with my D60 at the same ISO. It was a jump in capability and is a cleaner shooter than the latter. Im impressed with it.

Thanks for your sharing. Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back