new DLSR..the first results!

mfacer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mattfacer.com
Just taken the leap and bought a canon 20d with 17-85mm IS lens...
It's rather more complicated than my old SLR I can say!!

It's awesome being able to just take photos of pretty much anything knowing you're not going to run out of film......... anyway, here are a few of the "better" photos I took....

image022.jpg

image017.jpg

there's a few more here: http://www.mattfacer.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=15

thanks for any comments :)
btw: I'm still fairly new to photography......!

Ahh, DSLRs, how sweet. I love my d70, and the 20d is a sweet camera as well. It is so nice being able to shoot all the pictures you want without worrying about film count. I love it. Pic 1 looks nice. Do you have photoshop and whatnot? Thats the next big step, digital darkroom software is a big expense, but completely worth it.

Good luck with your camera, and enjoy!
Craig

Your first picture is gorgeous. I love sunset pictures. And congratulations on the new DSLR,,, you must be such a proud father! ;-)

And Photoshop and other programs aren't always expensive. If you know where to look. ;-)

thanks for the comments! I have photoshop CS on my PC ... so I will probably have a play about with some of the pictures to see if I can get even better colours out of them.
I simply can't stop taking pictures now.... its opened a whole new door!

what sort of things would I do to say this picture in photoshop to make it look better? I've messed around with the levels, but everything seems to make it look worse!!

image001.jpg

You could post it in the Photoshop Challenge Foru, under themes to see what other people can do to it. Or you could post it in the critique gallery.

I think it's almost perfect as it is, although I'd probably crop off the bottom big rock. Have you tried duplicating the layer and changing the blend mode to Multiply. I find that really brings out the colours in sunsets. I think if you then add a layer mask of the layer image it might make the ocean not as black, though I can't remember and PS isn't on the work comps.

Love the first pic. Good luck with the new camera

nice stuff Matt, keep it up! I like you're site, it's got a nice layout too.

I'm just starting out too, there's a lot to learn but I keep feeling that i'm finding out more about what works and what doesn't the more i shoot!

Most reactions

Back