New Dog, Old Tricks (or Help! Young Guy Regresses to Film)

elemental

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yesterday I finally packed up my K100D body and sent it off to Westminster, CO to the "PENTAX Service Department." Sometime in late October something broke inside the MF/AF switch assembly, so instead of clicking from one position to the other it would slide smoothly to MF then seize and require quite a bit of fingernailing to get back to AF. At that time I was in the middle of a photography class, so I couldn't fix it then, and I ended up just waiting until I got home from school for the summer (warranty is up in earl June). Just recently I began noticing something large and heavy-feling siding around inside the body as well. With both of these concerns noted, the body is on its way back to Pentax. In eleven months, I got just about 5400 exposures, which I am quite happy with. My photography has grown unimaginably, and it has turned from something I was curious about to a full-fledged hobby that I consider myself fairly good at.

While the K100D is away, I'll be using the Nikon N75 that lives in my closet to brush up on (read "get some") film skills. Buying my Pentax last June was how I got started in photography, and though I have learned a ton and consider myself a "photographer," I have never used film (since I was about 10).

My first impression of the N75 is that it feels significantly more solid than my K100, or any other digital SLR I've ever laid hands on. This is rather surprising, as the body is all plastic and very light. Something about its construction just feels right. It's also nicely compact, without the requisite blobs and bloating that seem to accompany every DSLR. Finally, the interface is much more satisfying: No menus, no "brightness, contrast, saturation," no LCD. Just buttons for features, and comparably few at that. The simplicity is really refreshing. The lens is a Quantaray 28-90mm f:3.5-5.6 with macro at 90mm, and it's really not that impressive thus far. In fact, it's quite similar to my Pentax DA 18-55mm, but feels less solidly put together, which is saying a lot. Shuld I get hooked on this camera, I think I'll invest in a cheap 50mm or slightly shorter (I'm a wide angle guy) from eBay. Any recommendations?

It feels strange going backwards like this, but so far I'm enjoying my transition from digital back to film. I'll keep you posted when I finish my first roll, probably later this week.

Spring for a used manual focus Nikon lens. The make most AF lenses feel like cheap plastic pieces of crap.

Spring for a used manual focus Nikon lens. The make most AF lenses feel like cheap plastic pieces of crap.

I actually spent the last half hour perusing eBay listings looking for this very thing, and I am very confused. I miss Pentax where all the lenses and bodies play nice together!

I say go for it. Just don't spend too much on the lenses if this transition to old Nikon film might not end up sticking. (Because old Nikon lenses aren't so useful in modern bodies) I have lots of fun with my K1000 (But it's also really easy for me because I just grab any one of my current lenses to use on it)

About the ergonomics, I agree that the k100 isn't very solid, but it's also because it's the lower-end body. Try holding a K10 or K20 (Especially with the battery grip on) Then you'll know what solidly-built-ergonomic-beauty feels like.

Haha, im in a similar situation. I recently started using my moms old K1000. Boy is that thing tough, its built like a tank. The only lens i have for it is a Quantary 28-70mm and ive gotten some great pictures from it. But im thinking about just putting around 100 dollars aside to get the 50mm f/2 and maybe a telephoto lens.

What you don't realize is that the person who makes the one quadrillionth photograph using film since the beginning of photographic history wins 14 million dollars US. So start using more film.

Wow If an N75 feels substantial to you afte your pentax I can't imagine what kind of piece of crap that Pentax must be. The N75, N55 and the other lower models surrounding it were some of the cheapest junk Nikon ever put out of with the exception of couese to the current crop of lower-end Nikon Dslr's.

You might try an AI or later 50mm f/1.4 or a 35mm f/2.8.. But, (there's always a but isn't there) Why don't you get a 28mm f/2.8 AF-D.

When the time comes you should be able to get most if not all of your money back. 28mm is a great focal length for film.

Also, while you are out for the summer, why don't you wander by your nearest camera store and play around with a D300? You might just like it. ;)

Are you fishing for angry retorts?

I almost felt like nibbling on that bait but I'll resist.

Nope I just know the N75 very well and am surprised anyone would cal it substantial next to anything. Just remember jsut because you have a Pentax does not mean you made them so if I do make a derogatory (wich I did not mean to in ths post) comment about one it is not directed towards you.

If the OP is serious about wanting to explore film photography and wants to stay with Nikon I would recommend an FM2N; about as solid as a tank and very dependable for not much money. That body with a Nikkor f1.8Ais lens will get you some pin-sharp shots.
A bit more money will get you the F3HP; a real classic in production for nearly 20 years for all kinds of good reasons-and was regularly used on the space shuttle from 1981.
I agree that the N75 was not one of Nikon's better cameras.

Wow If an N75 feels substantial to you afte your pentax I can't imagine what kind of piece of crap that Pentax must be. The N75, N55 and the other lower models surrounding it were some of the cheapest junk Nikon ever put out of with the exception of couese to the current crop of lower-end Nikon Dslr's.

Oh, I figured you might share your "input." How very constructive. I like your proofreading.

I never used the word "substantial." Of course my K100D is bigger and heavier. "Solid" was probably the wrong word, but I stick by "something about its construction just feels right." I also noted that it is light and all plastic. Of "couese," you seem to have ignored this. What I mean is that I like the shape and execution of the N75- it feels good in the hand, the buttons are well-placed, and to me, it just feels right. My Pentax is certainly bigger and heavier, but in my mind there's more to a camera's "feel" than that. One of the primary reasons I bought the Pentax over the D40 or (especially the) Rebel was how ergonomically pleasing it was.

I don't know why I bothered clarifying, as you seem the only one who's confused.

You might try an AI or later 50mm f/1.4 or a 35mm f/2.8.. But, (there's always a but isn't there) Why don't you get a 28mm f/2.8 AF-D.

When the time comes you should be able to get most if not all of your money back. 28mm is a great focal length for film.

Also, while you are out for the summer, why don't you wander by your nearest camera store and play around with a D300? You might just like it. ;)

Because I can get a K20D for $500 less ;).

In all seriousness, I think Nikon makes a great camera, and if I somehow find myself needing a body that exceeds what Pentax has available (and I think it would take a lot to outgrow the K20), I would go with Nikon, not that other company. Eww.

if I do make a derogatory comment about one it is not directed towards you.
Oh yes, I understand. It wasn't the fact that it was a negative comment that irked me. There are plenty of negative things you could point out about a Pentax. What jived with me the wrong way was the logic of your comment. As we all know, Pentax builds sturdy weatherproof cameras and that's the one thing they do better than everyone else, hands down. So to speak against that in the way you did would be inflammatory, as would a comment from me along the lines of "Nikkor Glass has crappy IQ" or "Canon telephotos suck!". Both of those statements are the furthest thing from the truth.

Are you seeing what I mean?

Now, if you pick a REAL flaw to point out, then it's not so inflammatory, then it turns into a proper debate.

Something about its construction just feels right.

What I mean is that I like the shape and execution of the N75- it feels good in the hand, the buttons are well-placed, and to me, it just feels right.

Yep, you're most definitely holding a Nikon! :D

For bang for buck check ebay for a 28mm f3.5 AIS, should be able to pick one up for around $50.

And of course the good cheapie, but sharp 50mm f1.8D, which is a little over $100 new.

Have fun!

Most reactions

Back